Grinding brakes...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bob Long, Jan 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bob Long likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I have a similar issue.

When the weather is cold, like -15C or so, I hear a whine around 50 km/h like something is rubbing metal on metal.

4. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  5. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

I don't actually hear any whining or sound as I have my windows up all the time :) Its just the annoying grinding feedback I get through the brake pedal,
    and is most noticeable when applying gentle pressure. We're not getting anywhere near -15C these days and has been hovering around 0C or above for most of January which is crazy for Norway. In fact on the West Coast they experienced +19C a couple of weeks ago which was warmer than Gran Canaria!

6. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

Yes it works a treat and doesn't sit proud, but you have to use the palm of your hand to distribute the pressure along the flap as there is some resistance. Saying that, the job had to be done twice as the first gasket came off. They probably hadn't dried or degreased the flap properly. I also hadn't been informed by my local Hyundai dealer about this modification, only that I read it somewhere and then I called them. Surprised Hyundai Norway didn't notify their customers.....

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Something to keep an eye( or ear in this case) out I suppose. For whatever its worth it got as low as -32C(actual air temperature probably around -40C with wind chill factor) for me and other than noise related to the shocks loosing their dampening over bumps at this temp, its been pretty quite for me, especially since I turned off the annoying VESS. My wife actually likes the VESS sound, I will see how long it takes for her to figure out that its been disabled :)

Bob Long likes this.
  9. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

HaHa...I had to read your reply twice as at first I thought you said that she had been disabled :)!!

10. Lol, she is more likely to disable to me, tough little Scottish lass :)

11. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

:) That's women for you.....! :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It appears to be die-cut, presumably from silicone foam. I wonder whose doing this is and whether it's an official Hyundai mod or just something a frustrated dealer or the importer thought up?

14. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

Yes it looks die cut and shaped accordingly. It is silicone foam rather than rubber, and the dealer had another one in stock when it was replaced. When I get back to Norway I will squirt some WD40 to the plastic hinge that's recessed deeply into its housing. The whole charging flap and housing is badly designed for cold climates.