Charging cable adapter

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Dave M, Jan 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dave M

Dave M New Member

Hello again

I’m wondering if anyone has found an adapter for the provided 110v charging cable to allow it to work in a standard 220v dryer outlet.

I’ve been searching and having trouble identifying 1) the provided cable would allow it to use higher voltage (the labeling on the cable itself implies it would be ok) and 2) if it is possible what adapter is the right option. Can it be purchased or does it need to be self constructed.

Thanks again for you thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. molund

molund New Member

I don’t think you can do that with the Kia OEM charger. Tesla is the only one I have heard of that uses adapters.

4. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

I am actually just dealing with this question myself. From what I have read in the Kona forum and other forums related to the factory EVSE or "Granny Charger" it is set up to deal with 12 amps at either 120 or 240 volts. So I am looking at putting either one of two different options together.

1) a female 120v standard plug to plug the granny charger into which then has two male ends off the other side to which I can connect to two separate 120 v wall plugs from separate legs if a home's electrical panel. If each 120v feed is wired to a separate leg of the 120 v female end with the grounds wired together and to the neutral of the opposite males, you should get 12 amps at 240 volts which should double the speed of charging when visiting my in-laws as an example, who do not have a dedicated 240 outlet in their garage.

My other option:

2)

Is to feed from my in-laws panel to the garage with 240 from their panel and install a 15 amp 240 volt outlet. Then wire an adapter cable, again with a female standard 120v outlet for the granny charger to plug into and then with a 240v 15amp connecter on the other end, again feeding both legs of the charger.

The granny charger is only capable of charging at a maximum 12 amps, but it can do so at 240v which makes for closer to 2.8 kw instead of the glacially slow 1.4 kw you get from a standard 120v outlet.

I know there are places you can get these adapters, but honestly, if you're at all comfortable with electricity I would suggest getting the parts and making one yourself. You just have to make sure whatever plugs and wiring you use is rated for up to 250 volts and is sufficient for 12 amps CONTINUOUS! Last thing anyone needs is a melted cable and the possibility of a fire. All connections need to be solid and you should be fine.

I'm definitely leaning more towards my second option as it is the one that seems the most "right way", which is how I generally prefer to do things.

At home I have a proper EVSE which is hard wired and supplies 6.8 kw happily all day long. I'm just thinking about when I'm not at home for faster charging.

Hope that helps, sorry it's very "wordy". :)

5. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

My understanding is that the EVSE provided has internals that are set up for up to 250v at 12 amps. You can see that the way the 120v end is attached is designed to be changed and the EVSE's or Granny chargers are the very same in Europe where there electrical grid provides 220v, just the end is changed.

6. Dave M

Dave M New Member

Thanks for your reply Tom. Great input and nice to hear I’m not the only one trying to figure this out.

At home I’m good as my solar inverter is combined with a level 2 charger in a single unit. I’m looking to have something that would work when traveling to family and utilizing their dryer plug outlet so we don’t have to stay 5 days to recharge the car and overstay our welcome. :). Really don’t want to invest a couple hundred in a new charging cable.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Dave M - Yes, my sentiments exactly!

Here is the link I found on another forum which gave me the inspiration for this - the website lists the Hyundai 120V EVSE but not specifically the KIA one, they are basically one and the same from everything I have been able to find.

https://evdoctor4earth1.weebly.com/

All the best if you decide to put your own together, again, just make sure you source wire and plugs suitable for the load.

Cheers!

9. Yah know, you could do this same trick with public level 2 chargers that have two cables on one unit and draw 50 to 55 amps, unless vehicle internals limit the draw below that.

10. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Here's one way to safely test it. Assuming you've thrown together a suitable
    Edison adapter first...

_H*

11. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

The bundled portable KIA EVSE works just fine at 240V if you build the correct adapter cable. It is labeled for 120V because that is what the attached cable is compatible with. The instrument cluster shows 2.6 kW so you can double your charging speeds with this method at no additional cost beyond $10-20 for adapter parts. Maybe you can find a pre-built adapter somewhere but dealers tend to charge ridiculous prices for simple cables.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Check this out: https://www.evseadapters.com/