First Service question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by dan17, Jan 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The US Maintenance schedule calls for "inspecting" the Reduction Gear Fluid at 37500 miles.. I see no schedule for replacing it..
    The only mandatory replacements I see is coolant at 120k miles and every 30k miles after that and cabin air filter every 15k miles.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm a bit peeved. I read the maintenance schedule when I got the car. The first service interval of 24K kms stuck with me. Now, I am finding out that I should have gone earlier because of Canadian conditions?! I certainly hope there's no comment from the dealership when I do bring it in at 24K.

4. When i brought it, a service advisor was like I thought it was every year because there's not much to do on it. From my experience it seems like it's still very new to the service department and they are unfamiliar with service intervals.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

5. Which is why, after reading the manual, I ignored multiple service notices from my dealer. They had me on an automated ICE schedule. I thought by reading the service manual I knew better.

6. Have a closer look at the severe driving condition exceptions. It may be different in your US manual but in the Canadian documentation you would likely meet the criteria in Florida for severe driving conditions by virtue of driving in heavy traffic with temperatures above 90F.

[​IMG]

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

It's interesting that the gearbox calls for 70-weight oil rather than the transmission
    fluid that most hybrids seem to want. Not that the fluid in any of those is a
    *means* of power transmittal like in a traditional "slushbox", so other than
    its electrical characteristics when in proximity to motor wiring, viscosity
    probably doesn't matter that much.

I didn't retrieve disassembly info for the motor in my romp through
    Techinfo. Assuming the gear oil stays in the reduction box, what actually
    lubricates the motor bearings?? Is there a feed from the diff housjng of
    some sort? The motor just spins in a sealed-off volume of air, right?

_H*

9. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Not in a heavy traffic area unless of course there is an accident on the interstate.. I drive about 70% highway 30% city with most traffic being very smooth.. I don't see any of the things applying to my situation.. I work ourside of city limits of Tampa and my commute home is all on Interstate 4 with no larger cities on my way home, so if there is no accident, traffic flows nicely..
    (that's actually the reason that I chose the city I'm currently living in. Westbound, Southbound and Northbound traffic from my work are fairly heavy but Eastbound traffic is pretty good)

10. 70W GL4 gear oil is still quite thin and seems ideal to me for simple parallel-shaft helical-cut gearboxes. The Prius has the planetary gears and chain which can suit a slightly thinner gear oil such as ATF.
    Motor bearing lube is a bit of a mystery, as are the exact details of the spline interface with the gearbox pinion - the prime suspect in the noise threads. I note that Toyota are experts at this sort of detailed engineering, avoiding friction-robbing seals in favor of allowing tiny amounts of controlled oil flow into the motor.
    The WeberAuto YouTube channel does a good teardown of the Bolt transaxle which might provide some insight.

11. Wonder if any of these inspections and cabin air filter replacement will be covered by Hyundai's new "3 year free maintenance" program(USA) which starts after Feb 1/2020. I notice in the legal section, the oil change and oil filter excluded from electric and FC , but the "normal - factory scheduled maintenance" are not specified as being discluded. Of course it appears tire rotations are included.:confused:
    https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/complimentary-maintenance.aspx

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  12. To remove this ad click here.