Is Hyundai Kona electric right for us?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Llorgon, Jan 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I’d spring for the top trim and get the leather and power drivers seat. Nice options. I’m 6’4” and a heavy 230lbs I’ll fit in the back seats but kids are there for now. Definitely less room that our pickup but small price to pay for what we get! I thought that Kamloops Hyundai had an Ultimate on the lot a few weeks back. Might have been a ‘19 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ultimate version comes with 8 way power drivers seat and both front seats are ventilated with leather seating surfaces.
    https://hyundaicanada.com/en/showroom/2020/kona-electric/trims

4. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

Good to know that the coquihalla is doable in the kona. Will probably be driving that a few times this year at least. I'm in Kelowna, well Lake country between Kelowna and Vernon. So not far from Kamloops.

How much does the electric bill increase from always charging at home?

Unfortunately the top trim is out of our budget so preferred it is. Next car we get I will make sure to get my cooled seats again.

5. I really depends on how may kilometers you drive, electrical consumption which is dictated by environment, road conditions and your electrical home rate.
    If you want averages you can look at transport Canada average consumption figure of $452 for the year and divide that by 12 to get a rough idea. Their figure assumes 20,000 km annual driving and 13 cent per kilowatt/hr electricity cost.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

In my case, I'm very lucky that my Electric Company offers off peak rates at night at 4.7 cents/kwh.. My electric bill has gone up only about US$15 to $20 per month compared to the previous year and I drive 3000 miles/4800 km PER MONTH..
    I do get lots of free charges also... Plenty of places around here offer free Level 2 charging and we also have some free DC Fast charging locations. My total annual cost (doing the service myself) for 35k miles per year is $80 for 2 x cabin air filter (ever 15k miles), $210 per year for electricity at home and about $50 per year for my road trips where I need to get Level 3 charging on the road.. $210+$50+$80 = US $340 per year/35k miles. Previously, I drove my F150 crew cab as daily driver, I spent US$4900 per year on gas, $120 for oil changes.. over $5000 per year... so I'm saving over $4500 per year over my F150..

SkookumPete likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Those numbers are pretty accurate and I usually advise prospective EV owners $15 to $20 CDN per month average cost when asked. (For home charging)

9. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

More precisely, in BC it works out to around 2½ cents per summertime km. Compare the Kona Turbo's 12¢/km at today's pump prices.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

ok. $15-20 month increase is pretty good. I think my sister said her bill went up by $17 dollars when she got her Ioniq.

11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

This coming electric bill (Dec 20 to Jan 20) is most likely lower than last year's bill without the EV because of the unusually mild winter. So far, I did not have to turn on the heater in my house (which is a electric heat pump) this January. Our temperatures for the last 6 days and the forecast for the next 5 is 80 - 85F (27 - 30C) which is well above average. Even night temperatures have been barely below 68F (20C).. Our normal low temperature for January is in the mid 50's.... about 13C

12. To remove this ad click here.

14. I travel about 120km a day 5 days a week and about the same over the two days on the weekend. I consume about 475 kwh per month, and at the highest BC hydro rate of .13 per kwh, that runs me about $65/mo on my Hydro bill. In reality, that would be less as the tiered rate kicks in only after so much consumption. So if I assume a blended rate of .11 per kwh and a full rate of .13 kwh, my monthly costs would be between $53 to $65/mo or $627 - $780/yr.

My chargepoint charger gives me all of that information and also calculates my costs monthly based on my hydro plan, so I'm pretty confident in those numbers even though I've only had the Kona for two months.

15. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

That's pretty close to what our usage would be. 100km/day mon-friday, but maybe 50km if that on most weekends. Still $65 a month is less than one tank of gas.