Use of extension cord

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Dec 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I know there have been discussions about extension cords use for charging ad nauseam on this site. I still thought I would mention that when I checked the extension cord I use occasionally for level 1 charging (a 14/3 25 foot cord), I was surprised to see that the plug was getting a little hot and even showed some black residue/soot on the female plug area. I have had this cord several years and have used it outside a good bit, so probably corrosion from moisture over time caused the contacts to begin to overheat. I ordered a new 12/3 25 foot cord to replace it. Just thought I'd mention that it is a good idea to keep checking the ends of the extension cords as you use them and look for any signs of overheating. The cord I am replacing also had the lighted end, although that may not have had anything to do with the overheating. I went back with a non-lighted cord.

K8QM, Mowcowbell and MrFixit like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

The ends always get handled most and wear out first. It's not usually caused by corrosion, but by simple handling which eventually starts breaking individual copper conductor strands near the attaching points, which increases resistance at that point, and/or arcing at the contactors adding some resistance at the plug blades. The cord itself, unless insulation is physically cut or damaged, is almost always perfectly fine. If you just cut the ends off and just put 2 new ends on it, installed nice and tight, and you'll still have a like-new, 14/3, 24 foot cord that will no longer get warm at the plugs. The lighted end indeed has nothing to do with it. That's a small LED and doesn't emit any heat.

Today's mass produced extension cords are often hastily assembled at the plugs -- not crimped tight enough, poorly soldered, not enough strands captured in the process, whatever. Because of this it is not uncommon for me to cut the ends of a relatively new extension cord and replace the ends after just a few months of use in my handyman business. And then once I've replaced them carefully myself, the replaced ends will often last for many years of rough use and extreme handling.

I fully agree that all cords need to be checked regularly, especially those used in higher amp situations for longer times.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Mowcowbell likes this.
  4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Completely agree that many extension cords have poor connections at the receptacle and plug ends. I did end up needing to use an extension cord to connect my new 32amp evse. Went with a 15' Camco RV (NEMA 14-50) extension cord. Constructed with 100% copper, 6/3 + 8/1-gauge wires, capable of handling 12500 watts. It's as thick as a firehose, but I think it will handle the 29.4 amps that my Clarity pulls while charging.

5. Mowcowbell likes this.
  6. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I have a 100' cord that I keep in my trunk with the ZenCar 16-amp EVSE (it's about 30' long). There have been a few occasions when I've been traveling where I have used the 100' cord (think hotel with outlet on end of building, and having permission to plug in) to charge overnight. I think it is 12 gauge, but it might be 14 -- didn't really look at it, it works fine. I've had it for years (used to use with an electric push lawnmower -- and never ran over it!!)

7. To remove this ad click here.