Getting Carplay navigation on instrument panel

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JZee, Jan 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JZee

JZee New Member

Hi all I just got a 2019 Clarity PHEV on Tuesday and loving it so far. One thing the salesperson said should be possible but I'm having trouble implementing is changing the Navigation widget in the instrument panel/gauge to give turn instructions that come from Maps (google or apple) in Carplay. Right now it only does it when you have driving directions set on the Honda/Garmin map. I prefer google/apple maps for driving directions but I hate having to look down to the center console to see which direction I need to be turning (and definitely don't want the voice prompts). Is what I'm trying to achieve here possible? Right now it doesn't seem like it but hoping someone here might know or have an idea.

coutinpe likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Do you have your phone plugged into the USB socket closest to the driver? That is a requirement for Android Auto and I believe Carplay as well.

4. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I use Carplay by plugging into the correct USB port, and the map selection under CarPlay comes from the phone. I have the base model, so the Honda maps are not available to me.

The voice directions come through the car speakers, but screen tap allows to select ETA only (no verbal directions).

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I'm in your same predicament and have had the car (Touring) for one year. Someone here once said that turn instructions could appear on the instrument panel when using CarPlay but I have no idea how to make it work or even if that was true. The owner's manual has no mention of it.

6. Paddy

Paddy Member

The turn by turn instructions only show up on the cluster when your cellphone is android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerbe, Pegsie, Teslawannabe and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

I’ve heard it’s Apple’s doing why it won’t work... privacy reason... Apple doesn’t play nice outside it’s ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I only get turn-by-turn directions on the tablet. Do some people get turn-by-turn on the speedometer display?

10. Paddy

Paddy Member

If I use my android phone, it will show up on my cluster. I don’t like it so I disable it in the car settings anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. blastfurnace

blastfurnace Member

I do get turn by turn in the instrument cluster when using carplay...I'm not sure if it through google maps, apple maps or waze, but it does work for me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mud Killer

Mud Killer New Member

USA
    I get upcoming turns with ft distance using Android Auto.
    It looks something like this (this is a screenshot from some other Honda):
    upload_2020-1-7_8-22-20.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  14. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Which model clarity do you have?

15. blastfurnace

blastfurnace Member

'18 Touring. iPhone 7 with IOS 13.3. On the way home tonight let me make sure I'm not a liar. I am almost positive this works, but since it isn't working for other people I want to check.

LegoZ likes this.
  16. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

That is exactly what I have and it has never worked for me neither on Google nor on Apple maps. I will try Waze tomorrow to see what happens. Please let us know what you find.

17. 228ra

228ra Member

It works because you have a built in navigation system on the touring. CarPlay turn by turn does not show on the cluster for the base model.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  18. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Unfortunately that is not the case. I have a 2018 Touring with navigation, exactly the same phone as #blastfurnace, but CarPlay doesn't show turn by turn on the cluster although the native Garmin does. I wonder if it's one of those darn "hidden settings" that allow some people to see in their Clarities what others can't, like the browser.

19. blastfurnace

blastfurnace Member

I'm a liar. It doesn't work on the instrument cluster, only the main screen

20. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I have an 18 Touring and Android Auto. My cluster does show the turns even is it is set to say-EV range. Note: I do have the browser also.

21. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

18 Base - Android Auto: It's shown the directional arrow in the cluster since day one automatically - never changed a setting or preference.

22. markc

markc New Member

The driving direction appear in the instrument panel only when using the Garmin maps. Using navigation from a CarPlay app will not appear in the instrument panel.

23. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I'd rather have just about anything other than Garmin. That being said, I sometimes use google maps to find something and then put in the street address to the Garmin on the rare occasions I really want the arrows in the driver display. I'm an iPhone user, so never had the driver display do arrows. Car play does work fine on the little tablet display in the center, just not the driver display.

Even if you bother to update Garmin (free for the first 5 years)- I find about 90% of the places of interest in my area simply are not found. Often the current map data is more than 10 years old for my market. The Garmin knows restaurants and other spots that went out of business years ago, and has no update that's current. It also misses major road changes that have been there for more than 10 years. How Garmin survives (at all) is a mystery to me. So while I do have Touring model, don't find a lot of value in the built in maps. Rarely I'm in places with zero cellular signal so there is some value in having a map (at all) that doesn't need internet.