Set Auto Hold always on

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nzkiwi68, Jan 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

I can't see anyway to do this, am I missing something, or, is it not possible to always have auto hold start ON when when start up?

I would LOVE a menu option to force Auto Hold to come on enabled every time.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. No, and note there are consequential conditions around using it. Just try backing up in Auto Hold with the driver's door ajar.
    There's little doubt the default off is intended to discourage you from becoming complacent about the lack of creep.

SkookumPete likes this.
  4. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Also, from experience, try going through a carwash with auto hold engaged... Let me tell ya it really makes you look like a noob. Apparently even when shifting into neutral, auto hold still engages the parking break... Who knew ☺️. Lol!

KiwiME likes this.
  5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

That was my first reaction too, until I realized that while useful in some situations, like long waits at stoplights, it robs you of the very useful default creep of the car, which you now have to initiate with the accelerator.

6. I am 99% certain that Auto Hold uses the actual disk brakes to hold position. You can hear the groan when releasing on a downhill. Left-paddle-hold does it electrically using the positional feedback on the motor.

nzkiwi68 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

Wow.

That's certainly one to watch for.

I'll still use auto hold in heavy traffic, but, I thinking my original idea of "always on" isn't such a great idea after all.

I think it's just absolutely amazing how I can sit in Auckland NZ on my computer and learn from many others, around the world.
    I don't have to make that poor man's mistake to learn about the negative aspects of auto hold!

9. I don't think the Kona would let that situation happen. The EPB (parking brake) will engage automatically in certain situations, that's one.

For stop and go traffic try Smart Cruise.

10. SkookumPete

As I read it, the EPB is applied automatically in certain circumstances only if the car has been brought to a stop with the paddle, and always when the car is turned off with Auto Hold engaged.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. The first item is what I'm referring to:

upload_2020-1-7_13-32-14.png

13. SkookumPete

Thanks for pointing that out. The info about EPB is scattered and I didn't look far enough.

This is from the US manual under One Pedal Driving:

Screenshot_20200106-174438_Adobe Acrobat-01.jpeg

And then later under Electronic Parking brake:

Screenshot_20200106-174509_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Attached Files:

KiwiME likes this.