Honda state of charge bulletin.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sthomasa, Jan 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Not been getting over a 40 mile SOC and complained at first service. Was given this....
    Could be but had car in hot and very very cold. Charged all ways and locations.
    Is 47 a dream?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@Sthomasa - Welcome to the forum !

47 is NOT a dream...

The Clarity, like all other EV's will perform differently based on usage and weather (seasonal) conditions.
    When it is 'cold' the battery performance degrades, and heater use has an even larger impact.

You will find a LOT of discussion about this in the forum. I would summarize to say you can expect to see the EV range vary about +/- 10 miles from the nominal 47 (as low as 37 miles in the winter, and as high as 57 in the summer). I think Honda is right on the mark with the 47 miles as an annual average.

This assumes you live in an area where it does get cold in the winter...
    It is highly likely that your car is perfectly fine.

Daniel M W and Sandroad like this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

This is right on. If you're not averaging roughly 47 mpc over a year (all four seasons), re-assess your driving style or your use of the modes. If you never see an estimated range of over 40 EV, then try experimenting with different modes and/or different use of the accelerator and brakes. Just for fun, sometime in an area of light traffic, try driving as if you have no brakes (hyper-miling).

5. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

In warmer weather I get far more than 47 and far less in colder weather. 47 electric range as an average is very attainable.

6. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

My low this winter is 37 while my high in the summer was 70, which I got for about 3 months.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TomL

TomL Active Member

Driven 16,000 miles since June. EV SOC high point was 66 in August, low point is consistent 32 for last month during Wisconsin winter. High SOC estimates proved pretty accurate with odometer mileage checks, but we can get a little more (10-15%) than the winter SOC with optimal driving behavior (using preconditioning, modest speed and acceleration, etc.).

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Since I live in a warmer climate, my winter low is about 41, summer high upper 50s, maybe 60s if driving smoothly and slowly...

10. Duxa

Duxa Member

Keep in mind your commute's incline. I didnt realize that my flat looking commute is me actually climbing about 500 feet over 10 miles or so. Even at the slightest of inclines if you are hitting red lights and have to tug Clarity's 4000 pounds up a hill, it will eat through your battery like no tomorrow. I get 35 mpg going to work, 80 mpg coming home in Clarity in HV mode. The incline is not apparent at all.

TomL likes this.
  11. 60Hertz

60Hertz Member

What type of driving are you typically doing? High speed highway driving consumes much more energy per mile than low speed city driving. I usually see best (warm weather) range in the low 40's due to 95 percent of my normal 30 mile commute running at 60-75 mph (on fairly level ground).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

In another thread @Walt R calculated that hefting the 4000 lb. Clarity up a hill costs about 1 mile of range for each 150-200 vertical feet (ie: you would lose maybe 3 miles of range just climbing your 500 ft 'hill'). But... as you have shown, you recover a large portion of that on the return trip because you are going downhill.

Since [as a commuter], you always start and end your trip at the same elevation [your driveway] there is really only a small net penalty with hilly terrain. Ideally, the downhill regeneration would recover all of what is lost during the uphill climb(s). The small penalty is because there are some losses with the regeneration process.

14. Duxa

Duxa Member

yup but this assumes same route both ways too. I take one route to work and another home due to having to make a stop before work but not after. Yeah overall elevation change is the same but one route has a steep hill for quarter mile, while another is non noticing 10 mil incline. Not sure how it differs but there must be a difference of climbing fast and then going flat vs long marginal incline.

15. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

My Clarity's normal for winter is about 30 EV range. If it gets cold (i.e. freezing or below), my range dips to 25 miles and stays there.
    I'd say I average maybe 40 EV range year-round. I never see high numbers even in the summer time.
    I used to worry the battery might be bad, but had it tested. It was like 53.2 instead of 55 but nothing dramatically bad.
    In my case the significant low numbers are primarily due to living on a steep hill, and heater use.

So yep, in my book, 25 EV range is normal for this time of year. I feel good when I see 28, or 30.

16. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Driving conditions and speed affect it tremendously. Driving back and forth to work, I go up to 58 in the summer and down to 32 in the winter (NJ here). Last winter one time it was about 2 degrees F and ICE kicked in as soon as I started the car, even though battery was fully charged. My commute is about 13 miles each way and involves slow city driving as well as highway driving.

If I drive all back roads with heavy traffic I can see an increase in range of about 2-3 miles in winter and a bit higher in the summer. Using the heater in the winter also reduces the EV range.