120V Charging on Maintenance Outlet

Discussion in 'General' started by EVBrian, Jan 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. EVBrian

EVBrian New Member

I'm planning on charging my EV using the a Level 1 120V charger. The outlet nearest to the driveway is the maintenance outlet that was installed 5 years ago to meet code with with condenser installation of my mini-split system.

Can I charge off of this outlet? How do I tell if I can or can't?

I attached an image of my breaker box. The breakers marked 'heat pump' were put in with the mini split system.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The two factors to consider are the wire size leading to the maintenance plug and the circuit breaker size. For a 15 amp circuit you need a minimum of 14 gauge wire. Larger wire and circuit sizes are accceptable. The max continuous amps for a circuit breaker is 80% of the circuit breaker rating. So if you have a 15 amp circuit breaker it can handle 12 amps continuous load. You don't say what the amp rating on your level 1 charger is or what EV your charging. My Hyundai Kona level 1 charger is 12 amp max. It works on all 15 amp circuits

4. I can contribute using Canadian electrical code, but if you are in the U.S. the rules may be different.
    CEC part 1,2018 24th edition
    As far as the "maintenance receptacle", It is only required when installing HVAC Eq. on rooftops, 26-710 series of rules , must be dedicated, GFCI and 20 A.
    So the first thing is to verify that your receptacle is at least dedicated, 15A will work - just not code.
    When installing an EV receptacle, it must be dedicated 86-300 (1) unless controlled by an EVEMS which I won't comment on, and have a 20A rating minimum and be GFCI protected when outdoors and within 2.5 M of grade, 86-306 1 and 2.
    20 A and GFCI is the way to go.
    BTW check breaker 14/16(2P30 -heaters living room) it looks like one side is tripped (turn off then turn on again) unless its an optical illusion.

5. EVBrian

EVBrian New Member

Thanks for the input. The outlet the outlet is on a dedicated circuits (15 amp) and code indicates 15 or 20 amp is ok. I'm using the stock BMW i3 OUC which is charges up to 12 amps so I believe I should be good as-is.

I checked the breaker too - just an optical illusion it's definitely not tripped.

Thanks!

electriceddy likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

One caution about older circuit breakers. When they trip, it becomes easier over time for them to trip again at lower amp levels.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Unless they are made by Federal Pioneer more commonly known in the trade as "welder friendly" circuit breakers.;)

9. james e Hunt

james e Hunt New Member

along these same lines...I have a 2019 Sonata Plug in. I will need a 10 ft extension cord to extend the reach of the OEM supplied charger. If I run the charger at the Medium setting (10 amps), would a standard 120 electrical outlet suffice? The one I have in mind is near garage door opener attached to the trusses. I am not sure of the circuit capacity, could be 15A or 20A.

10. Probably a receptacle meant for garage door opener rated at 15A / 120 V. Canadian code provides one branch circuit solely for the receptacles in a car port or garage, except that the luminaries (lights) and garage door operator for these areas shall be permitted to be connected to this circuit.
    So yes you should be OK so long as no other loads on those receptacles and use at least a good quality 14 AWG minimum ext cord . The additional 2 A should be enough for the lighting if there is not many fixtures- 1- 4' florescent 2 tube T8 fixture = .5 A approx.

11. james e Hunt

james e Hunt New Member

thanks, I will more than likely go with a 12-3

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.