Dashcam wiring (questions)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JustAnotherPoorDriver, Dec 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Picked up a nice 4k dashcam this holiday season. Going to install it, with a parking monitor, in January. my current dashcam is wired to the mirror, but I'll wire a new one to the fuse box to enable parking mode. A few questions:

1. Any tips for removing the a pillar cover? Assume I need to pull a fuse to protect from the airbag going of. Also, any advice to prevent rattling? (I don't have now, but see lots of people posting about it)
    2. Any advice for running the wire from the front to rear camera? Ideally I'd go through the headliner, but I'm guessing it's easier at floor level
    3. And other advice? I'll pull the fuse map from an older post

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Re the A pillar: for this and everything else, I’d recommend spending $10 to get Honda’s disassembly downloads at techinfo.com. That said, I might have them around and will share if so.

Re floor vs headliner: I ran through the door sills. Actually was probably a mistake: was a lot of trim removal, wish I’d used the headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. your_chum

your_chum New Member

pillar cover needs to have the little SRS logo pried and popped out. a plastic pry tool or heavily wrapped wide flathead works. It should be REALLY easy to take out after you pop out the cover.

I went through headliner because my wire wasn't long enough to go from rear view mirror down through dash all the way to trunk hatch.

fuse map and add-a-fuse. Unfortunately I can't remember which fuse number I put it in.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  5. Thanks. Any tips on going through the headliner? Did you pull the upper door trim? Feed from light-to-light? Use a fishing tool?

6. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

The headliner is easy and you can just shove the wire in and route it down the side after pulling the door seal out to get access. The A pillar is as described, you "pop out" NOT remove the SRS plastic badge which is actually used to expand the retaining clip. There is another retaining clip holding the pillar about mid way down and it just pops out with slight force. Note that best practices here have you removing the negative terminal from your 12 volt battery and waiting about 3-5 minutes before touching any of this as there are airbags in the A pillar and setting one off can ruin your day. There is room to feed the wire after that. If you are just going to use it while driving and it is USB powered then putting a USB adapter in your accessory port in the middle console tray works well, you can route the wire and hide it. If you want something much more permanent and able to power it continuously there are, always on (hot battery) fuses under the driver's dash by the ODB port. The ODB port is also always on and they make adapters for get power from them but that would really flag your install to Honda and I wouldn't recommend it. If you do wire directly to the fuse box I recommend using a fused piggy pack adapter so that you don't have to worry about a short in your headliner.

https://www.amazon.com/ARTGEAR-Profile-Circuit-Miniature-Harness/dp/B078T7G1C2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=addacircuit+fuse+tap+piggyback&qid=1582776045&s=hi&sr=1-2

Cheers,

Cash

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Front to back.

Location of the ground wire.

rear cam install #1.jpg

Top: Under the door seal to the base cover for the sill. The cover is easy to remove and replace. Don't be shy, pull on it! lol.

Center: The sill cover runs almost all the way back to the B pillar then you work around the seat belt anchor

Bottom: The seat belt anchor and the rear sill cover. I removed it also.

The spudger with the notch in it is great for this work. You can capture the cable in it and run the spudger where you want the cable. Most of the time the cable will follow.

rear cam install #2.jpg
    Top: At the back of the rear sill cover I pushed it in next to the seat. Then up the area between the seat and frame. Another place to use that notched spudger.

Center: The top of the seat and the window trim. The goal is the area between the seat and the window trim at the top of the seat.

Bottom: Takes a bit of finagling.

rear cam install #3.jpg
    Top: From the top of the seat it can go under the trim at the pillar. If you look at where the top arrow is pointing there is a seam between trim pieces. That's where I ran it across to the next seam.

Center. The bottom arrow points to that same seam. The center arrow shows the seam I used to get to the rear window trim.

Bottom: Where the cable comes out from under the trim. What extra I had I just tucked up under that trim.

As you can see there is not much cable showing there, and I think you could probably move it even closer to the trim.

rear cam install #4.jpg

Spudgers
    spudger.jpg