Throttle response snappier in "Sport" mode

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Cain, Dec 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Has anyone else noticed that the throttle seems "zippier" when in sport mode vs Comfort (or Eco)?

After reading through the manual I couldn't find anything about differing engine behavior in one mode or the other. Apart from the obvious display differences, there's only various limits on speed, regen settings and climate control.

To be clear I have both Sport mode and Comfort set at Regen level 2 (my preference). So that isn't affecting the throttle when I switch. Still, when holding a steady throttle position I can feel the car accelerate slightly when switching from Comfort to Sport.

It makes me wonder if there's anything else different.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There are certainly different pedal calibrations between the modes, noticeable when switching under power.

4. Definitely much more snappier in sport mode.

ericy likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Think of it as "gamma" on pedal travel. That's all it is, really.

_H*

6. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

You have to prepare for lift off in Sport mode. lol Eco is not tolerated by hubby as it is too laid back--each mode moving up has more power and zip.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DelRider

DelRider Member

I can barely avoid tire spin in eco mode. FWD cars are particularly a bummer for that and the torque of the Kona makes it even worse. If the Kona Elec. ever comes out in AWD I'll trade it in that day. Otherwise, at some point I'll consider tire/suspension upgrades to take advantage of the Sport mode. For now, I personally see it as over kill for the stock build. But that's just me. YMMV. Enjoy!

9. Unless they make the Kona bigger I just don't see enough room for a dual motor AWD in the current form factor. Maybe it will be an option when they electrify one of their bigger SUVs like the Tuscon or Santa Fe, because you know thats likely to happen at some point.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  10. nigels

nigels Active Member

Just drive it like a muscle car: either lay rubber or moderate the “gas” :)

This car does seem to have the laziest traction control I’ve ever encountered. My Porsche’s traction control feels like someone threw out an anchor when it detects wheel spin.

11. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Want to have some fun? Next time you're tailgated by a redneck yahoo in his oversized pickup, at the first steep uphill hit sport mode then leave him in your dust.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I do that at a red light sometimes from the right lane. And don't need Sport mode, ECO is enough. No matter how much noise and smoke they make, can't beat a Kona EV at a red light. Sure makes it easy to get ahead of traffic, and leave the pokers behind. Also works with sports cars. They just don't have that instant torque, and before they can muster it, I am past them. AWD would help though. Don't like to do this too often and wear out my front tires.

Jimct likes this.
  14. To be honest, I would rather get out of the way and let the tailgater pass in front of me where they are easier to deal with.
    Chances are you will pass them later as they are being delivered a summons at the side of the road.

Jimct likes this.
  15. styx66

styx66 New Member

The different modes are completely throttle response, in terms of the drive train. From my testing with Torque Pro, there's no reduction in power at all between modes. Its simply how far you push the pedal in relation to power output, as well as ramp-up time. You can burn the tires in eco but it just takes a little longer to get there.

I find in sport mode i have to turn regen to 0 (always have auto enabled though) or else the whiplash gets a little annoying.

16. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Right, well, that would be the sensible thing to do.....I suppose.