Preparing to Purchase Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Dingo562, Dec 28, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dingo562

Dingo562 New Member

The Hyundai website is not very clear regarding charging ability and what is provided with the car. Can someone please confirm, I will need to purchase a Level 2 charging station in order to charge with 240V at home? (Tesla's only require the outlet, not charging station.)

Also confirm if a Level 1 charge will take up to 60 hours for a full charge from 0%.

The Hyundai website could be a bit more forthcoming with this information. I've had to dig around quite a bit to find this on other websites.

Appreciate the insights.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

You will need either a 14-50 outlet and a portable EVSE or a hard wired EVSE. I personally installed the 14-50 outlet myself for $50 in materials and got a US$ 299 Mustart portable EVSE. Charging at 7.5 kwh on input side..
    Car comes with a 110 Volt Level 1 which takes forever..

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  4. Teslas come with a mobile EVSE that is capable of utilizing 120V and 240V services. Keep in mind that at least with model 3s they stopped providing the free 14-50 connector cables its an additional fee now to use with a 240V service. Hyundai also provides a no fee 120V variable amperage (8-12) EVSE. It would take ~49 hours at 12 amps for a 0-100% charge.

5. Yes it takes 49 hours to go from 0 -100% but I think it fair to say that it is unusual to discharge the battery completely to zero. A typical charge from say 20% to 80% will only take take about 29 hours.

Also note that the level 1 Hyundai EVSE can be operated on 240 volt using an adapter. See this thread https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/rv-adapter.6247/page-5

Using 240 volt with the level 1 EVSE will result in half the time of 120 volts. So for the 0-100 % charge it would take 25 hours and the 20-80 % charge it would take 15 hours.

If you need faster charging then installing a Nema 14-50r or Nema 6-50r for use with a level 2 EVSE is the optimal rout for home charging. A typical 30 amp setting charge on a level 2 EVSE will result in 0-100 percent charge in 10 hrs or a 20-80% charge in about 6 hours.

6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I'd question whether even this is "typical". If you rely on the granny cable, you top up overnight as needed. Twelve hours at 120v gains around 100 km of range which is more than most people will use. A 240v supply is a convenience but, for many drivers, not a necessity.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Side note : What I found interesting is that there is a 2nd PLUG-IN slot/port right BELOW the standard Charge Plug-in slot. When at my in-laws, they showed me their TESLA charging cable and I noted that THAT TESLA cable looks like it actually fits the bottom PLUG-IN slot in the KONA ...

So does that mean that you can Charge the KONA at a TESLA Charging Station? or what is the purpose of the 2nd Charging PLUG-IN PORT?

9. Are you in Europe? Typically the bottom port is for CCS DC fast charging. The upper port in North america is for a 1772 plug. In Europe the upper port is type 2 similar to Tesla. Generally Teslas in Europe can charge at any newer CCS DC charger but other EVs with CCS type 2 ports even though they use the same plug can't use their supercharger network but can use Tesla destination chargers. In North America Tesla charge ports are proprietarly different to CCS. NA Teslas can with an adapter utilize DC charger with CHAdeMO plug or just a charger with 1772 plug and an adapter.

10. As stated the lower plug is for DC fast charging and is not compatible with Tesla Superchargers. There is however an adapter for Tesla destination chargers (level 2 EVSE's) Here is a thread on Tesla adapters. https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-adaptor.7459/

11. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

USA ... we had a Level-2 Charger installed (240v / 7kw) ... THAT charger plugs directly into the TOP plug.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

OK. Let's file my Reply under "DUH" .. I searched the manuals and found my answer. It's on page H15 -- the Bottom area of the PLUG-IN is part of the DC Charging (FAST) system at Charging stations. It encompasses BOTH the Upper and Lower sections of the Charging connector. So nothing to do with what appears as tesla-compatible. (I hope that makes sense ... take a look at H15 ...)

14. FloridaSun

There is an adapter you can use to charge on Tesla Destination chargers.. This of course won't work on superchargers but there are many Hotels who happen Destination Chargers, so, that adapter could be very useful and it's under $200..
    There are actually Hotels that do have that adapter too so that you can charge regular EV's on Tesla Destination Chargers.

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  15. Dingo562

Dingo562 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, does the car require 50 amps? I was under the impression it would require 40 amps. (Just to point out, no electrical background other than switching out 110v outlets.) I'll be doing a commute of 130 per day. So, I need to have it charge back to near full capacity each night. Using the Level 1 charger is not feasible as it would not leave me with any room for error during my commute.

16. Dingo562

Dingo562 New Member

Thanks for your response. Again, not knowing much about electrical, when looking at the charging stations, would 30 amp be sufficient? I need to have the car recharge near full capacity each night.

17. FloridaSun

30 amp will get you close to the maximum Level 2 speed.. The Kona can take up to 32 amps at level 2. 30 amps will get you about 6.7kwh speed while a 32 amp EVSE will get you about 7.4 kwh. I used to have a 26 amp EVSE which got me 6.0 to 6.1 kwh speed.. Either of those will work fine to charge over night..

18. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

As someone with a lengthy daily commute as well (90 miles), I whole heartedly suggest you go with a 50-amp 14-50 outlet. By doing so you are future-proofing your home infrastructure as EV charge rates will likely keep increasing over the years. The Kona’s Level 2 charger wont pull more than 32-amps so you could get away with using a 40-amp circuit. Personally, my EVSE’s are both 40-amp (plugged into 50-amp circuits). By code, you can only load a circuit up to 75% of its rated capacity. So, a 32-amp EVSE needs at least a 40-amp circuit; a 40-amp EVSE needs a 50-amp circuit.

At 32-amps (7.5 kW), your Kona will fully charge in about 6.5-9 hours depending on battery level. What you are wanting to do is easily achievable.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Generally if you have something that will draw 40 amps, it needs to be on a 50 amp circuit. If you tried to use a 40 amp circuit, it would trip the breaker too often.