Public Chargepoint dual chargers and the Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Dec 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Twice my Clarity has had a bad taste from Chargepoint dual chargers. It will throw an error code like Charging error - Range Restricted and will turn on the check engine light. The car will not charge until the error resets, first time it was within a day or so of the error, before I could take it in for service. Today, it happened again. I wanted to take the car on a trip this weekend and didn't want to wait on the natural reset, so I removed the connection on the negative terminal of the battery for a couple of minutes to force reset. After reconnecting and restarting, I got a few error messages (hold the audio button for 20 seconds to reset or something like that). The TPMS, collision mitigation, etc reset within 100 yards of the driveway on the first drive (just a message like be careful driving while things reset). Anyway, all is good after the forced reset from the disconnect of the battery. Just thought I'd share this. I don't think it has been shared on the forum in a while. There is probably another post describing this better, and I should have written down precisely the messages....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Robert, have you had the Service Bulletin 18-097 for charging problems installed? I forgot if you have or not. It’s not routinely installed with the other updates. It seems like you have to specifically report a charging problem to get it installed since I was told that Honda will not reimburse the dealer if they do it before documenting a complaint.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@KentuckyKen , I haven't yet got 18-097 SB installed. I will probably request it the next time I have service just to see if it helps any. I firmly believe the problem is with the Dual Chargepoint Charger software (one in particular is fitful and seems to have a mind of its own), sometimes works fine, sometimes just refuses to recognize a vehicle is connected (no matter what make or model). Of course, we are lucky to have them (no fees) and maintenance is seriously lacking, so just count ourselves lucky it works sometimes...

5. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

About a year ago, I got the Charging Error - Range Restricted error while using a public Nissan EVSE and found, as you did, that the car wouldn't charge from my home Clipper Creek EVSE either. I turned the car on and off a few times (sorry, didn't count), and was then able to charge at home. The check engine light stayed on longer, but in a day or two it went out, too.

I had had the car stop charging a few times when connected to those Nissan chargers, and also at a JuiceBox while traveling. I don't recall having a problem at any ChargePoint stations, but I'm guessing the quality of the local 240V power is a significant factor. At any rate, I had service bulletin 18-097 installed along with the other SBs, and haven't had a problem charging since.