LeveL 2 Charger problems.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Andrew97, Dec 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

Hi, i just installed a level 2 240v 32A charger few months ago.
    I expected some things that don't work.
    The charging is really fast, takes around 2 hours and 15 minutes to fully charge.

The problem is that i can't remotely start charging when the car is plugged in, i need to physically take out the J1772 and re plug it to restart charging again.
    Also when i activate climate control, the power doesn't come from the charger but from the battery's even if its plugged in.

Is this a normal behavior, or my LeveL 2 Charger is causing some trouble?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Yes climate power comes from the battery always. So when the climate system starts, with the car plugged in, charging will start too to top of the battery.

Kerbe likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

On my ChargePoint Home, I can set a time for charging to start and stop on their very nice app. I just have to be sure that I haven’t got a schedule set on the car or by Honda Link. Also, it seems that if the CP app has stopped charging, that preconditioning depletes the battery SOC, but if the CP scheduled stop time has not been reached (CP app shows flatlined kWs but time still incrementing) then preconditioning runs off the CP EVSE and saves my 100 SOC for max range. After running down my SOC once, I haven’t played with it again to see if there is a way around this. I just start charging on the CP app (even though battery is full) and then start preconditioning on the HL app.

The only time I have had a problem is when I didn’t notice I switched AM and PM on the CP scheduling but their great customer service found it and got me going again. My bad.

5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I'm sure that you know what you are talking about, but how do you know that the charging comes from the battery and not the charger?

It seems to me that when the power comes to the converter in the car it would convert and be sent directly to the ac or heat.

6. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

This car is complicated and confusing. Try this. With the car on a level two charger and completely charged, start the climate control. You should be able to see that indications that the car is charging again. Hint the green light on the charge dcoo will be on and the Honda link ap should show it also. It does on mine.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

There are dozens of level 2 chargers on the market. Each is different and works differently, some are programmable and some are not, and each of us here has experience with one specific charger that we own and most of us know nothing at all about different chargers from that one.

This makes it very difficult to answer these questions without knowing the make and model of the charger OP is using, and finding some else who owns the same one.

Mine? Mustart portable off Amazon. Not programmable so I can’t comment on the first question about starting it remotely...I can’t do this period. The moment I plug the car in, charging starts. When car it charged, it stops.

Regarding climate control, if I turn it on while plugged in and fully charged I can immediately see the charger kick back on, beginning to dump a very specific amount of kws into the car to feed that climate control, and that number gradually ramping down as the interior reaches set temp, which tells me the climate control is preheating my interior using household electricity and not battery.

9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something here, have you installed the HondaLink app on your smartphone? It will allow you to set a charging schedule, no matter what kind of Level 2 charging setup you have. With a schedule set with the app, plugging in the J1772 outside of the charging schedule will not initiate charging.

10. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Sorry I meant "How do you know that the ac/heat comes from the battery and not directly from the charger?"

11. TomL

TomL Active Member

My experience is exactly the same as craze1cars, except my charger is a Morec. I have a sneaking suspicion our two chargers, and several others with different names, are identical Chinese-made products.

craze1cars likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

It is very unlikely that they set up 2 separate wiring systems to the heater, so it will almost certainly draw from (or probably more correctly thru) the battery and not directly from the inverter/charger/evse.
    The Clarity Electric has a heat pump instead of the resistance heater in the PHEV, but when only charging the battery will draw 30A, but when pre-conditioning will draw 32 (until it tapers as the car warms).

14. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

In support of jdonalds' comment: My Siemens Versicharge has a "halo" of LEDs that glow when the car is connected and pulse when it is charging. When I warm or cool the cabin in the morning the car is fully charged - but the halo pulses. So the climate control system is drawing power from the battery while the charger is replenishing it. This is most likely due to what DucRider said about not having two discrete wiring systems...

insightman likes this.
  15. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

Thanks for the answers every one! I should be fine with what i does right now.