Help-Kona Battery Life

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by E-Ticket, Dec 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. E-Ticket

E-Ticket New Member

I purchased my Kona in August and now have about 6K miles. Last week, my car had a range of 270 miles at 100% charge. Yesterday it had a 252 mile range at 100% charge. Today it had a 245 mile range at 100%. These numbers are with everything off (heater and AC). Obviously the mile range is decreasing. I assume this is not normal?

is there a minimum mile range the car should have when charged at 100%? I thought at the minimum is was 258?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Has the temperature been dropping. During mild weather range can be high but as the temperature drops the range decreases. When the temperature are in the 70 I get close to the 300 mile range. When temps drop into the 30s F my range drops to around 210. There are several threads on the site regarding cold weather range. You might take a look at them.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Your range will vary based on driving conditions. Right now, my 80% range is 227 and 2 weeks ago it was 275 miles.. Well, when i was at 275 mile range at 80%, I was mostly driving around town with no heater or ac use. In the last 7 days, I went on a road trip and had several other trips with 75 - 80 mph driving..
    If I drive around town again at lower speeds, my range will increase again..

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yea, I have to agree. It varies wildly depending on a lot of factors. Initial charge was close to 300 miles. Last night it was 290. I too get range increase driving around town. Guessing it has a lot to do with Regenerative braking. I note that when I turn the HEATER on, it immediately drops by 50 miles ... I turn the HEATER off, and it immediately jumps by 50. It must be "guessing" what HEATER uses and adjusts accordingly.

6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it even figures out the temperature differences, so it you were near your set temperature, the range drops less, as it anticipates less heat needed.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

In our case, the car sits in an attached garage when not in use, so it stays quite a bit warmer than the ambient. For example, it was something like 23 degrees this morning (outdoors). In the garage it was somewhere in the mid 40s this morning. So when I start out on the road, I don't take as much of a hit as someone who had their car out on the street overnight.

9. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

The numbers "are with heat off" but realisticly, you've been using defrost, heat and/or seatwarmers etc. lately, right? My guess-O-meter (predicted range) is not really worth reading lately, because I drive on short trips around town in a cold car. Obviously I don't want to sit inside a lump of steel below the freezing point, so I turn on the heat, drive 5 miles, get out, do something for half an hour, and the car cools down. I get back ind drive away, again with the heater blasting. About the time I get home again, the car is comfortable and I shut it off and leave it in the cold driveway.

After a few days of this, the guess-O-meter concludes that I drive everywhere with the heat blasting, which (look at the efficiency numbers for the current drive) really eats up the battery.

But now what if I'm planning on a long highway drive to join some family for Christmas? Obviously in a multi-hour drive where the range actually matters, I don't continue blasting the heat. The car warms up and I realize I should wear my hat and cabin environment ceases to be a giant load on the battery (except briefly at the beginning of the trip.) The guess-O-meter will likely underestimate my range quite painfully, based on my previous behaviour.

Have I got this wrong, folks? This is my first winter with an EV. I am assuming I can't apply estimates based on one kind of driving when I'm doing another kind of driving. If E-Ticket goes to the dealership, they're going to actually test the battery and tell E-Ticket that the battery is fine, aren't they? I'm pretty sure this apparent range drop is an illusion based on in-town winter driving. Or at least it is for me.