2019 Leaf "e-Plus" (60kWh)

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Kenneth Bokor, Jan 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Whoa! That's a pretty great deal. It runs through January 2, 2020, so now would be a good time to combine this with end-of-year clearance deals and other incentives.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As recently as May, Duke Energy was offering $3500 for the 40kWh Leaf, and ($3k or $2.5k?) for the 60kWh Leaf. They started offering it in 2016 or 2017. I can't find it on their web site any more (and there are only 3 new Leafs for sale within an hour's drive of Cincinnati).

Domenick likes this.
  4. I believe that program ended in September. At least, I can't see where it has been renewed.

Only 3 LEAFs around Cincinnati? That's kind of nuts! Did some looking and there seems to be none in my town, and just 9 within 200 miles. Nationwide, there appears to be just 1,800 new 2019 LEAFs for sale.

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

You have to keep in mind that 44% of the taxpayers pay no federal income tax. The tax credit is useless for them.

6. True. And some, like me, don't pay $7,500 worth of Federal income tax. It would be more interesting to know, though, what percentage of this 44% are in the market for a new vehicle with a price tag of at least $30,000. I would suspect it's a pretty small amount.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Electra

Electra Active Member

Maybe more than you think since the average new car transaction price is over $37,000 in the US. The most popular body style excluding trucks is the compact SUV/CUV and has an average price of $30,000. A midsized SUV is $40,000. There's a lot of people that buy by the monthly payment and with 6+ years of financing, they can afford a $30,000 car without having a $7,500 tax liability.

https://mediaroom.kbb.com/2019-10-01-Average-New-Car-Prices-Up-Less-Than-1-Year-Over-Year-for-September-2019-as-Retail-Demand-Weakens-According-to-Kelley-Blue-Book

9. If you are lower income and want the car, many dealers can do a 1 month lease with immediate buy out. That sends the $7,500 to the dealer which they should take off the price of the car. Maybe a couple hundred in overhead for the short lease, but you still get most of the reduction. When combined with the utility reduction and some negotiating...its a pretty sweet deal.

Domenick likes this.
  10. comadose

comadose Member

You guys are so lucky. Even with the £3,500 grant in the UK the Leaf 60 is still very expensive, and the finance deals are very poor at the moment.

Worse still if you want anything but basic paint you hit the luxury car tax threshold of £40k and get charged an extra £1,600.

There are some dealer offers at the moment which get it down to £33-34k (including grant), but it's still a lot especially with the poor finance offer.

11. Has anyone been able to exceed 80 kW in terms of charging rate yet? I hit a new high last week at 75.96KW at an EA station, would really like to know if getting close to 100 is possible.

End state of charge: 50%

Total energy delivered: 23.4 kWh

Max charging rate: 75.96 kW

Charging time: 00:21:12

Grace period: 00:11 min

Paid idle time: 00:00

75 to about 19%

67kWh at 35%

62 kw at 40%

60 kWh at 43%

58 kW at 45%

56kW at 48%

55kW at 50%

comadose and Electra like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Electra

Electra Active Member

I liked you listed the rates at a certain percentage. Can you list them up to 80%? Thanks.

14. DJP

DJP Active Member

Hi Kenneth,

Nice interview last night on CBC's The National with their report on EV's!:)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    DougWantsALeaf and Electra like this.
  15. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Hi thanks for the shout out! Yes great segments the CBC are doing in efforts to promote EV education and adoption! I've been helping this team a bit behind the scenes too and was very flattering to be invited on last nights segment to answer a few questions.

16. Kenneth Bokor

Great stats and thanks very much for providing this info! It's good progress for the Leaf!

17. comadose

comadose Member

It might not be possible to go higher on those chargers because of the voltage. That's the limiting factor on a lot of CCS cars as well.

18. Well you can see that above 19% on the dash (about 27-28% on LeafSpy), the battery starts limiting the charge rate down, so even if a higher theoretical was possible, its only going to speed up the first few minutes of charge. That said, the car does stay above 50kW beyond 50% on the dash (55% on LS), so the improved charging rate from the (~45kW peak in the early car) helps through much of the charge cycle.

19. comadose

comadose Member

It's surpassingly good considering that there is no battery cooling. Hopefully it doesn't reduce the battery life too much.

20. DJP

DJP Active Member

I wondered about you being more involved as I saw you for about 2 seconds in the first report and was confused when they ended up talking with someone else right afterwards.

21. Kenneth Bokor

Thanks, I'm on the second segment at the end for on camera questions. See links below for all the segments. Also, that is my Green Leaf being shown on the highway!

Part 1 Link:

Part 2 Link:

Part 3 Link:

Domenick and DJP like this.
  22. Anyone see 2020 Leaf's on the lot yet? I hear they are coming soon? It doesn't look like they went through another CARB certification, so I assume the range sticker will be the same.

23. Kenneth Bokor

I believe some are coming but the wait seems to be a couple of months at least.