Wishlist for hyundaitechinfo

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Dec 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

If the price isn't too outrageous, I was going to sign up and dig around just to satisfy my own curiosity about a couple of things. There are two areas that are already on my list of things to look into:

1) Someone suggested that I look into the bearing assembly around the motor pinion gear. All related to the noises that some people hear that result in gearbox/motor swaps that also sometimes work. I was thinking of looking into the resolver (rotation angle sensor) at the same time as someone else suggested that this might be relevant. All with an eye for any specific instructions for assembly/repair. I could also look for TSBs as well to see what the techs at the dealers are currently seeing related to all of this.

2) I am curious about the battery warmer. For U.S. models, we didn't get one. I was curious about the feasibility of adding one, so I would be trying to figure out whether there are separate wiring harness part numbers for with/without the heater, what the part number (and price) of the heater is, and keep an eye out for places where there might be different part numbers on the car for models with/without the heater. Get a sense of what is involved to replace one, and see if there is any indication of whether software adjustments would need to be made to turn this on (this might not be apparent however - techs in the field ought not need to ever do any of this). If I get some info there, I might stick my head (and a camera) under my own car and see if the mounting points and wiring harness plug actually exists on my car.

Anyways that's my list. I wanted to toss this out there to see if anyone had anything else on their Christmas wish list for things they wanted to know about.

I can't make any promises as to when I might get to this. It might not be until Christmas...

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'd be curious if the halogen headlight units can be directly swapped with the sealed OEM LED headlight assembly – I've seen lots of folks talking about replacing the bulbs with aftermarket ones, but nothing concrete about if it's possible to plug and play the LED headlight assembly from a limited/ultimate into an SEL.

KiwiME likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

About all I could find in my travels about the resolver was connector pinouts
    and a rough diagram implying a differential quadrature output, probably
    RF-driven like the ones in a Prius. I haven't tried scoping any of it yet; I'm
    a little loath to shove my relatively primitive backpin probes in past the
    connector gaskets and possibly lunch them. I didn't go after any of the
    motor/reduction mechanicals.

If you find relevant deeper information, let us know!

_H*

5. There has been some reference to the TMS circulating pump recall (due to leaking):
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/water-pump-recall-fyi.145425/#post-2749081
    but nothing has been listed on the Hyundai Canadian recall site.
    Any other TSBs as well

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. If you sign up, can you let us know if you see any TSBs on the break noise (break pad/clip issue)?

7. To remove this ad click here.