how much hp from electric motor when in Eco Mode

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sailorman, Dec 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum, just bought a plug in Touring mode, it is being prepped and I will pick up soon.

Alex on Autos, whom I think is the best car review person, said that the battery can only supply 121 hp to the 181 hp electric motor, and that the gas engine/generator has to supply the rest. I can not find any corroborating info.

If this is true, I am a bit disappointed, as I was planning on staying in electric all the time around town, only using gas on trips, and thought I was going to have the performance/acceleration of 181 hp while in electric.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

You won’t be disappointed unless you go to your local drag strip. I’ve driven 14,000+ miles and ~95% of that has been in EV. I’ve been able to accelerate just fine in EV, including merging from express way ramps. I’ve only triggered the ICE in EV one single time in 2 years when I panic stomped on the go pedal after a driver swapped lanes at the exact time I pulled out. I think you will find you will have plenty of acceleration in just EV, especially 0 to 30 mph where you will beat most gasmobiles off the line by way of the instant torque inherent to all electric motors. It’s not a sports car, but it’s no slouch either.
    Please post back after you’ve driven some. I’d be very surprised if you’re disappointed.

Sailorman, Paul Priest and insightman like this.
  4. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Thank you for the thread, it was one more piece of the puzzle. I have not found a definitive answer anywhere, but a few more hours of searching, I turned up bits and pieces, and from that I have deduced that the battery can only put out a certain amount of power, and that power after adjusting for losses, ends up as 121 horsepower that the electric motor can put out. If you want more power to the electric motor, the gas engine has to come on, and the generator connected to it supplies the needed power so that the electric motor is able to put out the 181 hp. I guess I will find out how that sounds when the motor kicks in when I take the car home, I did not notice anything on my test drive, but then I was treating it kindly at the time while talking with the very good salesman that was with me, and the engine may not have kicked in. The motor would not be maxed out anyway, as it only needs enough output so that the generator gives enough to the electric motor so it can produce the 60 Hp (roughly 60% of the gas engines maximum output) more to reach 181 Hp, so may not make much noticeable noise. I can certainly live with the engine coming on once in awhile, it is a great car for the money, in Washington state we just this summer (I think we had it before for awhile, not sure) enacted a law that allows for the first 25,000 of MSRP not to have sales tax, over 2,500 in savings there, and the 7,500 Federal credit, so 10k less than MSRP, an economical move + Honda reliability. I could not have purchased a comparably equipped Hybrid Accord for that, not even close. And this was the last Touring model in the State. Only 5 Standard left in the state, wonder if any more will ever come this way, or even if a 2020 model is going to be produced. I hope so. Honda is great at engineering, but kind of strange is some ways, evidence being their lack of success with Accura, as compare to Toyota and Lexus.

5. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Thank you for the info. I will indeed post again after having driven for awhile.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. JCA

JCA Active Member

Agree with the Ken's advice. Don't obsess over the numbers -- the high torque smooth acceleration of an electric car has a different "feel" than the jerky gear-shifting of an ICE. No, it won't rocket from 0-60 like a Tesla Model S...but it also doesn't start at $75,000.

Personally, I leave the car in "Econ" mode because it lets me stay in EV mode without having to watch the gauge, just accelerate to the detent. You get just as much EV power in Econ mode as Sport (arguably more, because you don't have to visually leave a margin to avoid going beyond the blue), and just as much total power (floor it all the way in both). I find that EV-only is plenty satisfying for 99% of my driving, including accelerating briskly from lights, passing, getting onto the freeway, etc. Now I am coming from a Civic so also not a rocket, but the Clarity is a bit faster (and smoother). And whenever you want, that extra boost of engine power is available, just keep pressing the accelerator.

Enjoy learning your new car and let us know after a few weeks how you find it!

Sailorman and insightman like this.
  8. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

I will definitely report back after a few months of driving. Thank you for your advice. I just posted a reply to Sandroad, in that reply I think I have expressed partial closure on the HP question, and do not need the absolute definitive answer from the Honda engineers, I can move on with life !! I drive a 2000 Lexus GS 300, my newest vehicle, my truck is 30 years old, and the Clarity is the last sedan we will have, waiting on the truck replacement, nothing out there yet. I have wanted a plug in for many years, but wanted the quality of a Honda or Toyota. The lexus has gone 19 years without one problem, just change the fluids and wear items. Hoping the Clarity will do the same. Many great features besides the drivetrain on the Clarity. The Lexus Gs 300 has a straight 6 with an iron block, it is as smooth as a gas turbine, is bullet proof, and the transmission on that car is buttery smooth. The GS is rated at 220 hp, and weighs 500 lbs less the Clarity, so I am somewhat used to reasonable acceleration on freeway onramps, but the Clarity will satisfy me in many other ways. I am sure it will accelerate up to 40 mph quicker the the Lexus, probably loose ground from 40 to 70.

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

With over 40K miles on our Clarity we have only used the gas engine perhaps 10 times for a couple of minutes around town. We keep the car in ECON mode unless we are on a road trip. The car has plenty of torque around town, I can't remember a time when another car pulled ahead of me from a traffic signal.

When entering a freeway from a dead stop it is slow to reach 70mph, in ECON mode, but is always quick enough. When passing cars on a mountain road and we kick the gas engine on we are always surprised at how fast the car accelerates.

One very cool thing is Break Hold. I keep it on 100% of the time when driving the Clarity. When I reach a stop at a red light the car will hold the brake for me so the car stays in place. I can then ready my foot near the accelerator. When the light changes I don't have to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator, just push down and go. That always gives me the advantage at traffic signals.

I'm perfectly happy with EV acceleration.

Sailorman and craze1cars like this.
  10. This is interesting. When we purchased ours in Oregon from a CA dealer in August, the dealer informed us that they were delivering another Clarity (to Oregon) for a Washington buyer who was unable to locate a car in WA.

The dealer may have offered the $5K Honda incentive, which was available at that time, and that may have been the reason the buyer went out of state for the purchase. Or, have more Clarities arrived in WA since August?

Sailorman likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As I understand it, the difference between the acceleration in ECON Mode, NORMAL Mode, and SPORT Mode is only the mapping of the accelerator pedal. You can accelerate just as quickly in ECON Mode as in SPORT Mode, but you have to press the accelerator further. If you have the accelerator at the click point in ECON Mode, you are accelerating as fast as the car's battery-powered 121 hp can push you. In SPORT Mode, you must watch the POWER/CHARGE Gauge carefully to avoid inadvertently starting the ICE as you try to achieve maximum EV-only acceleration.

Sailorman likes this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

On a somewhat related note: I recently noticed that in EV+sport mode that the EV-GAS transition point sometimes moves. For me, it typically seems to be around 1:30 O'clock on the display but in nicer conditions (low 70's F) it shifts a little closer to the 2pm position. I attribute this to the battery and other important electronics (inverter mainly) being in their "happy place" temperature wise.

FWIW

Sailorman likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

<s>Honda, who certainly monitors this forum closely, will jump in and explain any minute </s>. It's interesting that ICE-activation can vary in SPORT Mode, but doesn't vary in relation to the click-point in ECON Mode. I'd be disappointed to learn that the click-point conservatively doesn't deliver max EV acceleration to ensure the variable ICE-activation point is never reached.

Sailorman likes this.
  15. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Horsepower is most important at high speeds (and climbing hills) because of needing to fight wind resistance. For 0-60 acceleration, torque is most important. The Clarity puts out 232 ft lbs at close to zero rpm (not sure if that number is valid in EV mode or if you have to be in HV). That's why Alex on Autos measured a 0-60 time of 9.5 seconds in EV only (7.5 seconds in HV). Contrast that to the similarly (horse)powered 1998 Toyota Corolla, which puts out 120 hp and 122 ft. lbs of torque. That car weighs only 2414 lbs and yet only manages a 0-60 time of 10.3 seconds. If you put that engine in a 4000 lb car, it'd take at least 15 seconds, probably more. Thus, while the Clarity is fun to drive in city driving in EV mode, it is pretty slow if you need to pass another vehicle at high speed. That's the reason there's no "true" EV mode in the Clarity (which some in this forum have complained about). Honda wanted to give you access to the 181 hp when you need it simply by flooring it (your battery must be charged to access that). If you had to change modes manually, it could be too late to avoid an accident. What's unclear is under what specific condition do you have access to the "peak" 212 hp?

Sailorman likes this.
  16. i wondered how that would work, i was afraid i would break something

Sailorman likes this.
  17. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

I just did another check, this time with KBB, they show eleven standard models only within 500 miles of my address, the Honda website apparently just shows the ones at what they consider to be my local dealers, so have no idea if Kbb is correct, there may be more. I do know for a fact that there are at least 5 at two dealers close by me just north of Seattle, no Touring models left on KBB within 500 miles or on the Honda website.

18. Sailorman

Sailorman New Member

Sandroad, Kentucky Ken, JCA, Jdonalds, Landshark, insightman,fotomoto, HPEV Newbie, and hamr4267,

Thanks for all the info and advice.Looking forward to picking up my Clarity.