6 month and 10,000 miles

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by solarjk, Dec 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The temperatures that I use come from my utility and are 24 hour a day values. I drive in the day time temperature are warmer, especially in the summer. I live in Vermont and I have the base niro EV with heat pump and battery heater. I am retired and mostly drive at under 65, except when I am in traffic on the expressway

June 60°F 4.74 miles per Kwh
    July 65°F 4.65 miles per Kwh
    Aug 60°F 4.85 miles per Kwh
    Sept 52°F 4.74 miles per Kwh
    Oct 45°F 4.15 miles per Kwh
    Nov 28°F 3.54 miles per Kwh
    Average May 15th - Dec 6th 4.38 Miles per kWh

Longest trip without changing 246 Miles 4.7 Miles per KWh 100% to 22% Brattleboro, VT to Newburyport, MA

I am happy with the car. Still have a lot of questions, and Kia could give us more information. Don't understand the battery heater and how to get good changing speed, other than drive 150 miles. Still getting use to heater performance at 10°F. Not having heated steering wheel and seats are less of a problem, I wear gloves anyway in the winter

Fast charging is 22% Mostly EVgo Electrify America will be out until they fix their pricing.
    Home charging is 61%
    Free is 17%

destination navigation is by my phone using Google maps Evgo, plugshare and charge point navigation seems to take it to Apple maps (it is the other one on apple care play)

Thinking about get an OBD2 reader and Torque Pro, but that may be beyond my technical skills. Anyway, hope this is useful to someone, and as they say, your results will vary

Thirty years ago

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Utility you say? Is this an app of some sort? Sounds interesting...

I agree that Kia could do more with providing data from the car. It's got a lot of information in the console display alone, so it would be nice to be able to export it and archive it. I've not reset anything yet just because I like to see current driving numbers vs. ongoing averages.

Wow. That is just very, very impressive for a car that the manufacturer advertises as having 239 miles of range. I have to say based on other folks experiences that match yours and mine, that KIA made a conscious decision to market their car with a very conservative estimate on range, choosing a number that just barely exceeds the competitors, but is maybe 15% lower than actual. In real life I often find that if I'm driving conservatively it is easy to have my true mileage exceed my range depletion. After years of having inaccurate MPG ratings for most ICE cars, it's refreshing to have a car that exceeds expectations.

Thank you for fueling my Sunday morning Googling!

By driving 20K miles per year, it looks like you're going to get a lot of good use and savings from this car. I'm working 4x10 shifts and plug in at work, so I currently am about 70% free charging and 30% home, haven't used a fast charger yet. If I did the math right, it costs my employer about $1.50 a day, so it's not that big a deal to them, but it does drive down the TCO even lower.

4. Thank you for your data.

I have been doing a mix of highway and city driving during my first 350 miles in the vehicle, and am tending to around 4.7 mi/kWh . It also looks like (and the manual hints at this) that remaining range is based on driving averages somehow.

One thing I have noticed driving many different rental cars with trip MPG data, is there is a HUGE difference in fuel efficiency, presumably due to drag, between 55 and 70 mph when I play with adjusting my speed and then resetting the efficiency average and collecting 5-10 miles worth of data.

A lot of my highway driving in the Niro is between 55-60 mph. A favorite speed around here is 75 when traffic permits. I don't want to drive dangerously slow, but I figure why burn 25% more energy to save me 5-10 minutes of driving? 55 is a good compromise.

5. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Lately, on the instrument panel, I've switched away from the rising/falling bar over to the digital readout of my current day's adventures. I don't pretend to know all the potential settings for this vehicle, it's fun to drive, so I don't really care, but my "current trip" is set to clear after charging I believe and since I'm charging at work, I see trip results for morning vs. evening. In other words it resets for the commute home. I wonder what others prefer as their default display in that first round of settings? I also wonder sometimes why the sliding bar gauge that appears to be the default is reporting different numbers than the digital readout? That bothered me at first because I assumed that both readings were getting reset at the same time, perhaps not though.

I took note of some readings this evening whereby it was ~42 degrees F and I was at 10 miles of travel with ~25 minutes of time passage, with mixed speeds, using the heater liberally and only able to achieve 3.7 kWh/mile. They're having a lot of construction projects near my home that is necessitating a varied pattern of "shortcuts" to save from driving even further along the detour route. The speed limit in the development is 25 MPH, I usually go <20 MPH, mostly since I'm in Eco mode and the road curves through a very residential neighborhood. I would be respectful even if I weren't trying out my regen.

So I shut down the heater and drove at 20 MPH until I got to the downhill at the other end and then I just let it coast with full regen. This means the car is going verrrry slow, but no one is behind me, so I don't care too much. It's amazing how much it reminds me of down-shifting. Going down the hill, less than .5 miles long, but steep, so I just laid into the regen towards the end and the gauge said I had jumped to 4.2 kWh/mile. In the remaining 1.5 miles home I was able to retain that 4.2 kWh mileage.

It's amazing to me how well the regeneration system works! I guess I am prone to thinking about batteries from the standpoint of boats and golf carts, so the idea of a transactional charging system seems a little far fetched, but apparently, it is so.

My only worry now is that if it is like other things in life, that if it seem to be too good to be true, I might abuse it, and then it would obviously break.

6. I was resetting manually after each trip just to see, and I must have toggled some setting someplace because yesterday it started resetting after each time I turn off the car. This was a bummer because I wanted to calculate what it cost me going up the hill in Berkeley to visit my gf. I had noted I was at 41.8 miles on the trip and something like 4.7 kwh/mi when I got to the base but was distracted and did not notice the ending total figuring I would see it in the morning. All zeroed out when I restarted.
    The morning drive was interesting I regen braked most of the energy going downhill (maybe 1.5 miles, and probably 800-1000 feet) and then drove into downtown SF. My average over that 10 or 11 mile drive ended up being something like 8.9 mi/kWh! That was kinda cool. :cool:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Maybe you know this, but if not, under ECO Drive (co2 avoided), there is a EV Economy history which keeps daily results. A lot of my shorts trip have 40%+ for heating. When I go down the hill to the coop, it shows all the energy being used by heating and electronics.

9. Cool. I will look for that.

10. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I really wish that we had the option to manually reset Drive Info as we do with Accumulated Data.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

11. Also, there are two registers(one resets daily) other keeps going until zero out

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yes, I noticed that for the first time yesterday. Thanks for the tip. I did not understand why I was unable to reset the register...it was the one that resets on its own each day.

My gf lives up a BIG hill in Berkeley. I used 2kWh going up it according to the average mi/kWh and distance over 3.3 miles. I recovered approximately 0.6 kWh going back down. Regen braking is not as efficient as I hoped, but it certainly helps. Averaged about 4.7 mi/kWh (= 300 miles max range) including two trips up that hill and a trip into SF up another big hill to visit my mom and a drive home to the South Bay (80 miles). Not doing much special though I generally keep my speed below 60 highway and often around 55.

14. During a recent drive from the YMCA. Mostly flat with a couple of small hills, one maybe 35 feet and another maybe 30 feet, and a 1/2 mile on a freeway. There was low traffic so I could coast to traffic lights, etc, I pulled 7.3 mi/kWh!
    .​
    Sure would be cool if I could ALWAYS do that. Maybe I should get a Zero Motorcycle too.