Why we don't have self driving cars yet...

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, Dec 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Getting off topic now, but yep, that is a whole another can of worms...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Interesting that you bring up vehicle to infrastructure V2I. This has been the German approach to autonomous vehicles. What they've got out of it is a small section of highway, and one parking lot that can be driven autonomously by very specific vehicles.

Compare that to Tesla and Cruise that can travel on thousands miles of highway autonomously.

I'm all for the private sector choosing to spend their money as they wish, but I believe v2i as a solution for autonomous driving is a red herring.

4. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Those that are reckless should be held accountable. There's a difference between reckless and rapid.

5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Parking lot is most likely the hardest situation, but thankfully one of the safest (low speed).
    - Unmapped
    - No lane markings
    - Poor signage
    - Mixed use between people and cars

Improvements to smart summon will greatly improve the other parts of FSD.

Personal story. A friend of mine works for the city council in project management. In 2018 I'm promoting the idea that self driving cars will hit the streets in 5 years, and they need to start planning for that future now. Why they ask? because it takes 25-50 years for capital works projects to achieve their value proposition.

That means if they build a multi-story car park today, it won't have paid for itself until 2044. The problem is that if FSD gets released in 2023, and becomes mainstream by 2030, this building will be a sunk cost. Utilisation will be minimal, and it'll never pay for itself.

Yeah it's hard to predict when FSD will become mainstream. There's vested interests in delaying it. But there's huge opportunities to use tax payer money more efficently if you understand where the future is heading, and support that future happening.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019