My daytime running lights are not working: 2018 Clarity Plug-In

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by huango, Nov 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. huango

huango New Member

Hello,
    My 2018 Clarity Plug-In daytime running lights are not working.
    Seems to have stopped working recently; I just noticed it yesterday when the valet drove the car toward me.
    Regular lights and high beams work.

Anyone had this problem or read about it any where?
    I haven't found a post on it.
    Hoping I can try to address it before having to take it into the dealer.

Thank you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Haven't heard or seen the issue. If both "L" are not working then most likely a bad fuse. The odds of both LED going bad is pretty slim.

Daniel M W and huango like this.
  4. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Or the valet manually turned off all of the lights.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Set the switch to auto and recheck. If still not on when the car is on, could be a corroded connector or chewed wire common to both sides.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The DRTs run all the time the car is on and in gear. AFAIK, there is no way to turn them off once they come on or to prevent them from coming on once you put the car in gear.

However, it is possible to have the car in Park and turned on without the DRTs on. You have to select Brake Hold or set the parking brake before you turn off the car. Then when restarted, the DRTs will stay off until you put the car in gear. It seems that if the red BRAKE icon is illuminated when I turn mine off, the DRTs stay off on restart until I put it in gear or disengage the parking brake. That’s how mine seems to work and the only way I know to get them off is while parked.

So if yours aren’t coming on while the car is moving, then you have a problem. And as the above posts have said, it must be something common to both lights such as wiring, connectors, or fuse. Let us know what you find out is wrong and how it was corrected.
    Thanks

Sandroad likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I just checked my daytime running lights in the window reflections at the UPS store. They come on as soon as I hit the power button and turn on the car. No need to be in gear and they are on with all settings of the headlight switch. That’s different from my Toyota.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  9. KentuckyKen

They won’t come on until you put it in gear, if and only if, the parking brake was applied (manually or by Brake Hold) previously. Normally, they do indeed come on at start up.
    Just one more item the manual doesn’t see fit to describe.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Robert_Alabama likes this.
  10. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I always put the parking brake on before I shut down. And, the DRLs always come on as soon as I turn the car on while it's still in Park (of course, Park is a gear )

11. KentuckyKen

I just double checked this. I applied the parking brake and turned it off. Upon restart, the DRTs did NOT come on until I either turned off the parking brake or the car started moving in D or R. (Did not try pushing it in N) Mine is an American 2018 Touring and I’m sure that the DRTs are functioning as I previously described.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Ah, my friend, I stand corrected. What you describe is indeed what happens. It seems I never noticed this, because by the time I have turned the car on, released the brake and put the car in Reverse (in the garage) the DRLs have come on before I look back up out of the windshield. When I just turned the car on without touching anything else, no DRLs.

KentuckyKen likes this.