A PHEV far superior to the Clarity is coming next summer

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PHEV Newbie, Nov 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

It’s a nice looking vehicle, but for a generally different buyer.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I wonder about the mpg in hv. That's important also. It would be interesting to check it out. In my experience Toyota has the best customer friendly service. I have seen them make exception after a warranty is expired and cover some repairs anyways. Where Honda is more strict. But for now i hope to drive my Clarity for many years.

4. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Honda is clearly embracing hybrid in the US because everyone here understands how it works. Pay a few thousand more for the car and get better gas mileage. I’m awaiting crv pricing and range on their hybrid to see if it makes sense to trade in our gas crv. Given the high electricity prices in New England frankly gas vs electricity is a wash so there isn’t much appealing for the rav4 over the crv to me personally with that low of a range. I charge at work so maybe in a bad week I pay an extra $3 to charge my clarity for weekend driving. If I always had to pay for electricity for a rav4 I’d just go with a crv hybrid - but that’s just my preference because we didn’t like the rav4 hybrid when we test drive it over the gas crv.

5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Will the RAV4 PHEV be eligible for the federal $7500 tax credit & HOV Clean Air sticker in CA ??

6. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Fed Tax Credit is based on battery size (not yet released but extremely unlikely that it will not be large enough to qualify for the full $7,500).
    The Prius Prime and other lower range PHEV's qualify for HOV stickers, so unless they change the rules to eliminate all PHEV's from the program, it should be good.

4sallypat likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

The $7500 federal tax credit is also dependent on how many Toyota EV credits have already been claimed. Toyota appears to already have reached ~105K out of 200K, so they still have ~95K left.

4sallypat likes this.
  9. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We were not influenced by any marketing. I simply like the seating position of a small SUV. I'd much rather sit up with my knees bent. In a sedan my legs are out in front of me and I feel like I'm leaning back. To me that driving position becomes uncomfortable quickly. I also find it is easier to get into and out of a small SUV because the seat height is higher and I don't have to drop in or climb out. A small SUV also normally has more cargo space which is easier to access.

We had a CRV for several years. It was one of our favorite cars. I've been waiting for the Rav4 but now will be looking elsewhere for a small SUV with 50+ miles of EV range.

10. If you read the title of this thread (an opinion, in my opinion) and the first post which states “I’m leaving Honda forever.” and then consider that it was posted on a Honda Clarity forum, is it really a surprise that responses would contain other opinions?

Now we have a couple more. Enjoy the rest.

11. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

No- not at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

I had the opportunity to cancel my Clarity order and after review and a detailed analysis comparing to the RAV4 Prime I decided to keep my Clarity order.

Walt R, jorgie393 and insightman like this.
  14. Bu-bye

15. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Hope Honda takes note and to come out with a crossover PHEV like a Pilot or CRV to compete with Toyota ????

16. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

If the Pilot PHEV comes to fruition after the redesign in ~2022 it will likely be my long term utility vehicle.

4sallypat likes this.
  17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda: "Nobody wants the Clarity PHEV we sell in 1/50th of the United States, so we're done with plug-in hybrids." Honda engineer: "What about that Pilot PHEV we finished designing 2 years ago?" Honda: "Nobody wants plug-in hybrids, period."

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  18. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Guess we're just a bunch of nobodies!! :)

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  19. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I really don't think plug-in hybrids have been given a fair shake so far. I am hopeful that some of these newcomers will help, but I am probably holding false hope there. Newcomers to the scene (and those already here) I can name that may have at least reasonable range:

Toyota RAV4
    Jeep Wrangler (don't know the range, but I think it is based on the Pacifica system, so maybe 30 miles)
    Lincoln Aviator
    BMW Xdrive45e (and 35e)
    Mercedes GLE 350de
    Still hopeful the Mitsubishi Outlander will increase its range some and offer a USA improvement
    Chrysler Pacifica
    Haven't kept up with Volvo, so I don't they have one or more with decent range
    Audi A8 and Q5, but only range in the twenties (14kWh battery, I think)
    Ford Escape (30 miles and 14 kWh)

Know I probably left out a few, but these are the ones I could think of immediately. Feel free to jump in if I left out one y'all are passionate about. I intentionally didn't hit the sedans since I still believe the Clarity is the best of the bunch. If anyone feels slighted there either, feel free to add as well.

20. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Obvious omission is the i3 REx with ~150 miles of electric range
    Aviator is <20 miles range and starts at $70K. Corsair is a bit more promising with ~25 miles, AWD and likely closer to $50K.
    Kia Niro PHEV is rated at 26 miles, but like all the PHEV offerings for Hyundai/Kia there is no provision for cabin heat without running the ICE.
    Range Rover P400e clocks in at 22 miles

With PHEV's, it's always a struggle to find room for enough batteries to provide substantial range. Needing a fuel tank, exhaust system, etc eliminates the use of a skateboard type battery arrangement. Having both drive trains also carries a not insignificant weight penalty that further impacts range.

21. I believe they haven’t been given a fair shake for good reason. There aren’t many that are worth a darn.

Some have less than 15 miles of EV range and most max out at less than 30. For some, that short amount of range may be suitable. It must be what the focus groups said to build. Everyone’s doing it.

PHEV’s don’t need 100+ miles of EV range. That just makes the car more costly and reduces interior space and cargo capacity. The Volt and Clarity are great combinations. One is gone and the other is difficult to obtain.

Then there’s the rest.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Jason Kunst and insightman like this.
  22. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I agree. Apparently the range of daily commutes on average is closer to 25 miles or so. That isn't the case for us. We are on the edge of the bell curve. Our daily commutes are two trips of 25 miles, then possibly 10-20 additional miles. 25 sounds like the average but if you start with 25 and hit cold weather you're lucky to get half that range.

In our particular case I believe we need 50 miles of EV range to stay 100% EV most of the time.

Walt R likes this.
  23. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I wasn't necessarily whining over any of the Phevs falling by the wayside that we wouldn't consider to have adequate range, more that PHEVs in general seem to have taken some shots (for example that GM will focus on BEV and Honda seems to be withdrawing from PHEVs). I will buy another PHEV, but only if it has at least 40 or more miles of range. The sweet spot to me seems like 50-60 miles. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on BEV until charging infrastructure improves a good bit.

jdonalds and Ryan C like this.