Clarity will not charge.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by CyberDyneSystems, Nov 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am at work, we have a level two charger available, (Chargepoint) and today my car will not charge.

I may be posting prematurely, as I have no other way to test,. so it could be the station, but there was no evidence any one else was having the same issue. I'll know for sure when I get home.

Has anyone else had their Clarity refuse to charge? No green light, etc.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Is the Clarity set to an internal timer?

Have you tried using the FOB button to start charging?

Is the car still on? (hate to admit: BTDT)

CyberDyneSystems likes this.
  4. Thanks,
    I did double check that the car was not on. A few times. Did a few restarts to be sure.
    I have never set the timer,. unless I can do that accidentally? I don't think that's it.
    I didn't even realize that the FOB could start charging? Is that the big bottom button?

To date, I have only just plugged it in and it took care of itself.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Sorry, for clarification: If I have a timer set, I use the FOB charging button to begin an unscheduled charge.

6. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Have your Honda checked for the charge update (18-097, charging problems (sensitivity to power fluctuations at public chargers) on your car - there is a fix for that with a software download from your helpful Honda dealer.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks,
    I am hoping that when i get home it will be fine. (shudders at the amount of gas I will have burn to get there! lol )

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Chargepoint at my work area are very problematic. Occasionally they just won't connect and start charging. Sometimes they show the message "waiting on Vehicle" and you can try to keep removing the plug and trying again and maybe it will wake up, maybe not. This happens with other vehicles, too, not just the Clarity. I know I have seen BMW and Tesla drivers struggle with this same message. Sometimes you can leave it connected and later in the day use Hondalink to find the vehicle, then have success starting the charge, sometimes not. Today the Chargepoint charger charged for about 15 minutes at 32A, then disconnected. After a couple of hours I saw it had only partially charged. The start charge button was not active on Hondalink. I did the find my vehicle thing, and then was able to restart the charging from Hondalink. Anyway, I'd bet strongly that you will be fine charging at home...

10. Great to hear this, that's exactly the notice I was getting.

11. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

It has happened to me too several times on Volta chargers, sometimes it starts if I just unplug-replug or move the connector a bit but sometimes it doesn't. Also, I have had different sorts of troubles with ChargePoints. One would start fine but stopped 5 minutes after and the other wouldn't start at all. In any case, the car had no trouble whatsoever as it will charge fine at home or with other charger.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

The same thing happened to me on a Chargepoint at a train station, it started fine but stopped after 10 or 15 minutes., still at 55% of charge. Start Charge was greyed out in HondaLink but the FindMyCar trick didn't work. Of course, it charged at home without any problem.

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The 18-097 Service Bulletin mentioned by @4sallypat has fixed several Claritys that would not charge fully (or at all) at public EVSEs. As originally shipped, the software appears overly sensitive to “dirty” power as in voltage fluctuations or “noise” in the power flow or the protocol/data handshake. Try getting the update and please let us know if it helps or not.

Note that the 18-097 is not normally installed by dealers with the other updates. You have to specifically complain about charging problems at public chargers to get it. And it wouldn’t be a bad thing to get them to prove it’s been updated, since at least one posted reported it wasn’t correctly installed or finished and so he didn’t get the benefit until he returned for another install.

15. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

The 18-097 update worked for me but the clarity is still way more sensitive to fluctuating power then any other EV at my office. I plug it in and then wait two minutes to make sure the car stays charging. If it is going to error out it happens pretty quickly after I plug it in.

16. Thanks for all the input.

Bottom line, as predicted by members fo this forum, when I got home it charged with no issue. today it is charging at that same ChargePoint at work, no problem.

If it happens again, i will not panic!

And I will attempt to get things going not by just unplugging and re-plugging (where of course I immediately lost my place in line) but by using the key fob, and the Honda link app.

thanks for the help!

17. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've had a few days where the Chargepoint station just wouldn't co-operate. On those days, I was fortunate enough that another station was open that worked, or had enough battery that I could put off the irritation until the next day. I have never requested the 18-097 update since this has never really impacted my ability to use EV mode (other than a few minutes of aggravation).

18. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Over the past week my car won’t charge at any of the five charging stations at work. I do have 18-097 and even with that the car has always been a bit persnickety. Teslas, Volts, Bolts, BMWs, Volvo’s all charge just fine - but not my clarity since it got cold out. I’ll be bringing my 110 charger next week. Anyone else notice a charging problem since the weather turned colder? This didn’t happen last year. :-(

19. Steve C

Steve C New Member

Definitely the cold is having an effect on my charging even though I always park in the garage. The lowest temp about 10 days ago was about 28 degrees and my charge mileage was about the same even with a full charge. Since then the temperature has been coming up. I'm now up to about 38 miles with the temperature in the low 40s. Fortunately. I rarely have to drive very far. The down side is that if I need to use the car throughout the day, I'm charging every chance I get. This also means that I'm missing the lowest electric (PGE) rates which are after midnight.

20. ralfalfa

ralfalfa Member

See this: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/green-charge-light-not-coming-on.6999/#post-78757

Lots of us have seen the chargepoint lose the "trust" of the Clarity's onboard system for charging; evidently the chargepoint isn't as good at conditioning voltage/amperage as the Clarity would like and the car stops charging and remembers. Reset the car's memory of this by plugging in to a trusted source (like the provided Honda brand level 1 charger) and (hopefully) the chargepoint will work for you.