BMS Update for 2018 LEAFs

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Kenneth Bokor, Jul 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Seems Nissan has released the throttling BMS update for affected Gen 2 LEAFs. Contact your local Nissan Authorized LEAF dealer and and ask and reference NTB19-056. It’s titled “2018-2019 LEAF; LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WILL NOT QUICK CHARGE.” I confirmed now available in Canada too, after releasing in USA July 18th. Should also be available in Mexico.

Joe McLain and comadose like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

Thanks for the info, Kenneth. I took my 2018 Leaf in for a service today and handed the service person a printout of your post. I was given a short lesson in Nissan bulletins in that they are only acted on if the customer has a problem. I had a read of the bulletin and the two problems are the car isn't charging at all or fast charging is slow. So, I advised him that I was having a problem with slow fast charging and that was enough for them to act on the bulletin.

Joe McLain likes this.
  4. Kenneth Bokor

Hello DJP, glad my info helped you out! Yes they are rather picky at Nissan and you do have to ask for it and tell them a story to get it done! I have noticed bit faster charging speeds then before at same temps.

5. DJP

DJP Active Member

I did my first fast charge and noticed the power input difference. Previously it would start at 43kW and then drop to 23kW as the charge progressed. This time it started at 43kW, went up briefly to 45kW then dropped to 33kW, then 28kW, then 22kW and then 19kW. I added about 50kW from the low 30's to the low 80's percentage in about 30 minutes. Not sure if it charged faster than before, or not. I should have taken proper notes before the "upgrade" to properly assess the change.

6. Kenneth Bokor

Hi, yes I have noticed a better rate than before as well. Makes rapid charging a bit less time consuming.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kenneth Bokor

Also, noticed that when I receive Text Messages on my phone, the Infotainment system will alert me and I get the option to have it read it out aloud. Don't remember seeing this before the software update. Also, range predictions in mild temps seems more accurate than before.

9. Electra

Electra Active Member

It's been working on the US. It's annoying though because it reads the telephone number and time. Just don't read group text messages though. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Joe McLain likes this.
  10. DJP

DJP Active Member

It's been working on my 2018 since I bought it in May 2018.

Another text to avoid having it read is attached photos. It really goes to town in reading all the coding!

Joe McLain likes this.
  11. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

From those who have had the software update I would love to know how many heat bars you're adding from fast charging and when your taper starts and where it ends up. thanks

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have 2018 Leaf built April '18 so before the throttling update was available in factory. Here are a couple of data points from my charge on 1/23/20:
    i live in KCMO so was pretty chilly (around freezing)
    I added 24.6 kWh in a 40 kWh pack
    Charge started well, 45-47kW for first 10 mins, but then fell.
    About 35kW at 25 mins, 23kW at 30 mins, 11kW at 50 mins. Total time 1hr 7mins
    I'm scheduled to get the update 2/17 and looking forward to a better charging experience :)

14. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Your charging rates are pretty comparable to mine. You didn't mention heat bars so I'm wondering how that worked out for you. Temps have been below freezing here in Kingston ON. On one long run I managed to add 2 heat bars to bring it up to 7. The added heat is a benefit. I drove almost 20km before the GOM started to drop.

We pay by the hour at DCFCs around here so that session would have cost around $23.00. One can get a far better bang for the buck if there are enough chargers on route by doing 2 15 minutes stops rather than 1 30 minute. I will probably ask for the charging upgrade next time the car is in.