Oh no, curb rash

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Nov 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

Excited by finding an actual charging spot that hadn't been ICE'd or Tesla'd, I misjudged my turn into the spot and scraped my Kona's left front wheel on the granite curb. It's just chewed up the edge not the face of the "spokes". I'm reluctant to have the car off the road while I get the wheel professionally repaired, so does anyone have a paint color recommendation that matches the standard wheels' gunmetal gray color? I think some paint and clear coat would make the damage disappear for the most part.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'd be interested in the answer to this as well. Had a minor "curb incident" myself recently.

4. Are you running the Nexens? Their sidewalls are extremely thin (balloon like) close to the treads. Depending on the damage you may want to have them inspected for safety assurance.

5. nigels

nigels Active Member

No, I got rid of those as soon as I could. I’m running with Nokian WRG4s. I didn’t see any sidewall damage, fortunately.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Sure would be nice to have side cameras (used to have them on my Leaf SLs). A lot of public charging locations are tight with an unusually high side curb. With those cameras I could pull in slowly and be within one inch of those curbs without an issue. The Kona is quite blind in that area and I usually get out to check visually first, as the Nexens would no doubt blow out the side with even a small scrape.
    Something like these but would have to check out how to wire them into the existing A/V system and obviously mounting locations:
    https://www.amazon.com/KYLIN-Vehicle-Camera-Degree-Adjustable/dp/B01G08MGCA

7. To remove this ad click here.