Mechanical “clunk” noise when turning in either direction

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Brennan Raposo, Jul 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. justfortheride

justfortheride New Member

Thank you for your feedback, it's appreciated! Maybe I need to start a new thread for a different issue!

NP27 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Raining,wet. I was reversing, with VESS off. I can hear in the rear a clicking sound. I was trying to listen to the front suspension,couldn't hear anything today. Like folks have said before,please call Hyundai,ask for a case number so they can't say they've "never heard" about ...

Awaiting the low gear unit to be installed to see if it will address the hiss. November is the ETA for the part that someone listed for us. While charging this week,another Kona Electric pulled up,and when they left,I listened for that hiss/squeal,and yup,they also have it.

4. WMA

WMA New Member

I just brought my car in for it's first service to Boundary Hyundai in Vancouver to get the software updated and to fix the clicking noise when turning at low speeds. I provided all the troubleshooting that Brennan Raposo and NP27 had done on their cars. They didn't seem to care about the info I provided and did all the same diagnostics previous already tried. On the invoice they basically just tightened all the bolts on the subframe, calipers, motor mount, lower control arm, and CV axel nuts. Even though I provided the fix they didn't even bother to try it. They just said keep monitoring it and they didn't even do the software update I requested. Now the clicking is louder and more often so they made it worse. Do not bring your car to this dealership for warranty repairs. Anyone have a good experience with a Hyundai dealership in the Vancouver area? I'm going to take it to another dealership instead.

5. Good idea, wish I could help but if you are willing to come to Nanaimo this dealership is awesome:
    https://www.wheatonhyundai.ca/
    BTW what software update ?

6. WMA

WMA New Member

There is a newer firmware update and maps. I still have the original software

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. WMA

WMA New Member

I can do it myself but they told me that I can bring the car back every 6 months to do updates.
    I requested the software be updated as part of the service and it wasn't done.

9. I had to go through a similar situation even though I brought in a printout of this forum and all the troubleshooting already done. After the third or fourth visit, I asked why they couldn't just use the fix that has already been proven, and they said they had to follow Hyundai Canada recommendations and couldn't order parts based on the info I provided. That's fair enough, but I suggested they call Brennan Raposo's dealership and speak with the Service manager at least, but again they said they had to follow the recommendations they were given, since it was warranty work. It seems insane that Hyundai Canada wouldn't choose to save some money on unnecessary part replacements, labour, etc, but that's the way it is! If the last fix didn't work (which thankfully it did), I told them i wanted to talk to Hyundai Canada directly, and they seemed like they wanted me to also by that point. All the best with your car!

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Your dealership's doing it for free?It takes hours because of the annoying map site,update process. How is your dealership doing the update,via your Hyundai map account?Did you receive a mandatory T&C update for Bluelink? It included over the air updates as part of the cover all eventualities agreement for use. I am hoping Hyundai takes a sentence from Tesla,and will let us press the "update" button,and the Kona Electric UPDATES via OTA.

@NP27 this is the issue I have with ICE OEM,support's soooo inconsistent .Annoying how some dealerships use their diagnostic confirmation via audible,visual to order parts to repair [Brendan Pooran,my second dealership].Then others want Hyundai's tech.support to "diagnose," which usually means they want a DTC code. NOT everything throws a code from my experience with defective electrified/electric vehicles.There are deeper scans that will show issues many dealerships don't do,forensic level. Still liking my squeaky,hissy,clunky Kona EV;hoping this isn't related to a more severe issue.

navguy12 likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Kavi66

Kavi66 New Member

Hi,

My 2019 Kona just started to make this snapping noise when turning right. You had mentioned you would post the parts needed to correct it.

Im just worried that my dealer will take days-weeks if not months to fix it without the help of this forum.

Thanks

13. I had the same snapping noise. Here's what was done to fix mine. It's been fine since.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/mechanical-%E2%80%9Cclunk%E2%80%9D-noise-when-turning-in-either-direction.6162/page-4#post-80276

electriceddy likes this.
  14. justfortheride

justfortheride New Member

Following up with an update:

Those of you who seen my clip from earlier in this thread would have seen/heard a sound coming from the front end while two people were seated in the vehicle and the vehicle was turning (i.e. weight was shifting).

The fix was a new front right strut - however - this fixed the problem for a few months and the sound is back. We took the vehicle back in and they have now determined it is the axel. Who knows if that's the true fix as the part is on order from Korea.

15. At least they are trying to fix it. With a new vehicle design particularly involving the front axle there are going to be some hurdles to overcome. I hope the new part repairs it for good.

mho and justfortheride like this.
  16. K0NA19

K0NA19 New Member

Hey, I was wondering if your issue was ever resolved? I am also having the same issue and my dealership is at Openroad Boundary in
    Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. We just started to notice a click when turning all the way over. Usually left but sometimes both. Just to be sure, we are thinking of taking it to a local non-Hyundai shop to diagnose it and see if suggestions match.