EV and HV gauges

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Nikko508, Nov 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

Am i the only one that has a differentiate between the EV and HV gauges in the dash and the infotainment screen.
    If i fill up with gas, the gauge in the dash says full but the infotainment gauge says 3/4.
    Its the same with the EV gauge.
    Honda is telling me that this is a normal reading, i disagree.

Does anyone else have this problem

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

The discrepancy is because the gauges are showing different things. This can be confusing, since they're all presented similarly.

The gauge on the left side of the dash shows the state of charge of the high voltage battery, in similar fashion to the gas gauge on the right, which shows how much gas is in the tank. Both are qualitative displays, though one can estimate how much a bar represents.

The gauge on the infotainment "vehicle energy" screen shows estimated all-electric (EV) range versus the nominal (i.e. EPA) maximum. EV range drops in cold weather, and the infotainment vehicle energy display will then read lower than the SOC gauge on the dash. Filling up on gas will have no effect on this display because it's showing EV range only.

Personally, I don't find the gauge on the Vehicle Energy screen useful. The SOC and gas gauges aren't estimates and they don't vary from one charge or tankful to the next, so they're the trustworthy ones.

Although the EV range is rightfully called the "guess-o-meter" here, I do find the estimated number of miles remaining of use, whereas a percentage of the EPA 48 mile figure doesn't really tell me anything. But I also figure about 3 miles per bar on the SOC meter (maybe 2 in the freeze). However, YMMV is more than an abstract expression here.

TomL, Nikko508 and insightman like this.
  4. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

OK, i can understand all of that. But how do explain the HV read out between the dash and the infotainment screen.
    Does this work the same way as the EV read out?
    Sometimes in similar weather when i fill up with gas the infotainment screen shows 100% full other time only 3/4 full.
    This part is what is confusing to me

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I believe it’s due to the info-tainment screen showing the estimated milage not the gallons in the tank as @Clarity Dave pointed out. Gallons are actual numbers while HV milage is an estimate based on last couple of trips and current driving. I think both EV and HV range estimates adjust in real time also.

They’re both different units and scales and so will never have an exact 1:1 correspondence. They will roughly correlate, as in the more gallons you have the greater your HV range will be.

The HV range estimate on the info-tainment screen is more useful and intuitive to me than the fuel gauge when I’m on a trip and trying to figure out on the fly how far I can go and when to look for a gas station. You can also call up this information on the DII (screen behind the wheel) which is helpful when you’re using the nav system in the Touring.

Clarity Dave and Nikko508 like this.
  6. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

You wana talk about confusing . You would think this could be a little bit more clear in tbe owners manual

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's why @KentuckyKen is here for us.

MPower, TomL and Nikko508 like this.
  9. Jim Hale

Jim Hale New Member

I still haven't seen a clear explanation of the infotainment vehicle energy display. There are three gauges. On the left is the EV charge level. On the right is the gas tank level. What is the gauge in the center?

10. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

That's the battery charge level, same as the left display behind the steering wheel. On the center console vehicle energy screen, the left display is guess-o-meter EV range (not charge level), and the right display is guess-o-meter HV range (not gas tank level).

insightman and Jim Hale like this.