For those of us in Michigan

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Richard_arch74, Nov 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

In case you haven't heard: Consumers Energy, through their PowerMiDrive program, is providing $400 rebates for home L2 EvSe's and $5,000 rebates for L2 EvSe's for commercial/apartment properties.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

Also, if you are in DTE’s area, they are offering $500 if you purchase a L2 EVSE and switch to their EV rate plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Danks

Danks Active Member

I looked into this a while back. The requirements for the rebate gave me pause.

Applicant must agree to participate in Consumers Energy’s Residential Time of Use Rate
    Applicant must agree to authorize Consumers Energy to enable demand response capability
    Applicant must agree to authorize Level 2 charger’s network provider to share electric consumption data with Consumers Energy
    Applicant must agree to provide proof of approved electrical inspection, if applicable
    Applicant must select and provide proof of purchase of Level 2 charger from PowerMIDrive Program’s Approved List

My understanding is from talking with Consumers is that the Residential Time of Use Rate for off-peak hours is considerably higher than what we have now and would be even higher during peak hours. From what I understood it didn't look like it would take very long to eat up the rebate in higher rates.

We are doing fine with the Level 1 charging for now.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

The rebate is now up to $500 for residential. I also paused on this for reasons listed by @Danks , even though I recently installed an approved level 2 EVSE. In addition, my solar system complicates things at my house, so I'm going to pass on this. However, I think the commercial L2 stations installation rebates have great potential and I'm encouraging CE to continue this program in a Phase 2.

6. Sandroad

When you get a chance, could you post up info on DTE's EV rate plan?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I googled this DTE "PEV" page. Unfortunately, the page describes an EVSE program that expires December 31, 2014, so it's slightly out of date.

9. Sandroad

I saw that too and it’s why I asked. I know the director of Consumers’ EV programs and I’m meeting with him next month. I’m sure he’s aware of DTE’s programs but I want to be well-informed too.

10. Richard_arch74

It is true that there are terms and conditions for the rebate but in my case they are not a deal breaker.

As far as the rates: I talked to the director of alternative energy solutions a few days ago and he convinced me that the rt1010 rate (ToU Pev plan) would save me some $'s. I'm currently on the standard rate plan and will be going on the rt1010 plan. Below is a chart for the two rate plans (sorry its not easier to read).

In regards to the installed plug for the EvSe, I had an existing NEMA 6-50 outlet in my garage. They confirmed for me that if it is an existing outlet you don't need to show evidence of inspection.

Good to see that the rebate is up to $500 now.
    One complicating thing for me is: the net metering (for my solar array) department has to give me confirmation that the ToU Pev plan is compatible with my net metering. Screenshot_20191102-081535_Word.jpeg

11. Richard_arch74

Here is another try at the standard vs rt1010 rate schedules: Screenshot_20191102-084515_Word.jpeg Screenshot_20191102-084500_Word.jpeg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

The whole house D1.2 or D1.8 Time of Day plans will qualify.
    https://www.newlook.dteenergy.com/wps/wcm/connect/23195474-a4d1-4d38-aa30-a4426fd3336b/WholeHouseRateOptions.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

If you pick the D1.9 experimental EV time of day plan, you would need a second meter installed.

See more details here.
    https://newlook.dteenergy.com/wps/wcm/connect/dte-web/home/service-request/residential/electric/pev/pev-res-charge-frwd

If you are trying to evaluate the different options, I suggest you opt in to the DTE insight program where you are able to see how much energy you use throughout the day. With that, it’ll help you see if the plans will save you money. Charging and using most of your home’s energy during off peak times is your best bet to save money with Time of Day plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandroad likes this.
  14. Sandroad

I will be very interested to see if you get approval. The variable rate really complicates net metering for CE because their highest rates coincide with your highest solar output. If they net metered that, they could owe you (and me) a lot of kWs.

15. Richard_arch74

"they could owe you (and me) a lot of kWs." That's what I'm hoping for.

16. Here's the current rebate program from DTE. Unfortunately, it only applies to cars purchased this year.