Vancouver Island BEV statistics

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Oct 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This of course is more interest for locals and shows the number of registered EVs on our island.
    Saltspring Island of course once again leads the way by number of BEVs registered per population density.
    https://victoriaevclub.com/how-many-evs-exactly/
    Being in Nanaimo the #s seem pretty low considering how many I encounter on the road , but I think most of the EVs I see here just come to shop/charge then head home or are travelling up or down Island .

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Interesting... Kinda makes sense about Saltspring Island...:)

Wonder if there are similar stats about the Lower Mainland. I know there are tons of M3s downtown, but that's also the greatest pop density. Where I live (Langley) F350s and Ram1500s still dominate,... except at the EV chargers when you want to charge.

Kitsilano and electriceddy like this.
  4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

We mid- and north-Islanders are the laggards. But I now see Teslas almost every day.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. More DCFC chargers would be welcome in this "Hub" area as people get off the ferry and want to top up before travelling north. There is a good reason why Tesla decided to install a Supercharger here.

6. True, Campbell River tied for last with Port Alberni , but I suppose one sale in Port Hardy would bump it up the list (note stats as of March 31,2019).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My postal code is excluded. I wonder why they exclude rural codes from this? I'm pretty sure there are dozens missing from the count in the Cowichan Valley as I have seen at least three Konas regularly in Cowichan Bay, along with several Leafs and Teslas.

9. Probably part of a large group around the Island as not everybody lives in those jurisdictions, but still informative.

10. Updated list :
    https://victoriaevclub.com/bc-evs-more-than-double-in-one-year/
    Note the increase North Island and central area, Courtenay 272% , Comox 233% and Campbell River a whopping 345%. Also honorable mention for Port Alberni 300%! A lot more charging options have probably influenced these numbers.
    Of course Saltspring Island still leads the way at 21.1 per 1000 population with an increase of 39%:)

11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I think EV numbers are going up everywhere, just look at all of the portable dual voltage chargers on Amazon, when about 6 months ago there were three different ones.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Add a second one:
    [​IMG]
    Credit: Shane Demmitt/ Facebook
    Country Club Mall, Nanaimo.
    Unlike the first one which is limited to 8- 150 kW (shared @ 75 kW), this one has separate 4" conduits to each pedestal from the DC equipment location which leads me to believe it could be the first V3 Supercharger on the Island capable of 250kW.
    This would also make sense if in future opening up the network to non Tesla EVs, sending them to the first location 6 km away to share @ 75kw leaving the faster of the 2 for Tesla only EVs. (Perfect rate for Kona EVs:))
    This is only the third location on the Island, it would be a real benefit to install one closer to Courtenay or further north to enable trips to remote locations to the NW.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023