Clarity Electric - Most Miles per Year

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by GHTech, Oct 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GHTech

GHTech Member

Greetings,

I am wondering who has the most miles per year in a Clarity Electric. It is only available to lease, with a yearly allocation of 20,000 miles. I have had the car for 10 months, and have about 6,800 miles on it. Just curious if anyone would be getting close to the max as the range is 89 miles per charge.

Regards,

GHTech

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

We have the PHEV with a 90mile/day commute. With weekend and vacation trips, this typically works out to about 22-25k miles/year. One would have to do a crazy amount of charging to achieve that amount. OTOH, we also have a CMax Energi that accumulates about the 6k/year so even with its short range most of it is EV. Just depends on what ones needs are.

4. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Have you ever run out of juice or come close in the all-electric?

5. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi Geor99,

Close yes. But most of my driving is fairly close. I have free charging at work, and also have a level 2 charger at home. My work is about 2 miles away, and most of my driving is on surface roads, so EV works great. I would buy this in a heartbeat if it would be an option (which it is not).

Regards,

GHTech

6. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

We probably will have the most. Our commute is 110m/day round trip on weekdays. Weekends about 60/day. charge at home and work.
    Just got the car but I'll post back after a year.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi!

How much do you estimate that you will have by the end of the 1st year?

Regards,

GhTech

9. Phil_Meyers

At least 30k, I'm pretty anal about charging whenever possible to. Going to be installing a 32a/240v charger this weekend. This 110v charging is pathetic.

Kerbe likes this.
  10. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

110 miles x 250 workdays + 60 x 50 weekends is 30,000 miles...

I drive a PHEV because I have too much range anxiety:

What kind of real-life battery range are the BEV people getting?

11. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi Phil_Meyers,

I am curious. How would you handle the 10K over the allocation per yer issue?

Regards,

GHTech

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Phil_Meyers

Sorry, didn't read you message to thorough. I have the plug-in.

14. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

We are about a week short of 1 year with the Clarity Electric, and have a few miles shy of 11K.

There was someone on the Fit EV forum that IIRC had 58K long before the 3 year lease was up. The Fit EV had an 82 mile range and no DCFC capability. We had ~50K on ours in a few months short of 5 years.

The 20K/year lease would be an average of 55 miles a day, so someone with a 70+ mile commute would push that number.

15. evorbust

evorbust New Member

I've had my clarity BEV since Christmas 2017. I'm currently at 31,607miles. I have a level 2 free charger at work and I only charge @110v in the garage at home friday nights and maybe saturdays, depending on how much driving I did saturday during the day or will do on on Sunday. Sundays I don't charge and come in to work Mondays with less than 10 miles left ( usually 5-8), which gets completely recharged to 100% in about 3.5hours. Then the week repeats itself :) My lifetime efficiency is 3.9miles/kWh. I drive in eco mode at all times and manually use the left paddle to increase regen at lights and slowdowns.

I probably spend less than 10$ a month on charging at the house, and if I factor in the 50% parking discount for EV's, no monthly fuel costs ( previously spent $120 a month driving around, similar mileage) and the state of CA rebates and utility rebates, I'm probably down to $10 or no cost. Yeah it's a no brainer

Hope they extend the lease for another 2 years. I'm averaging around 47.24 miles daily if you take my mileage and divide by 669 days

16. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

If you ever use the cruise control, I'd highly recommend using sport mode.

I too once strictly drove in econ mode. Then I realised that sport performed much better and had no practical difference in ev miles.

Obviously, its your car; but Im just sharing my "conversion " to sport mode:)

17. evorbust

evorbust New Member

I've played around with all modes and sport is by far the worse for city driving. It's way too easy to break the tires loose at a light and get that annoying tire slip, power cut off, power surge, cutoff,surge annoyance so I only use eco mode in city driving and sometimes normal mode (press eco twice). The low rolling eco tires are the culprit here.With grippier/sportier tires ( such as the model 3's) I'm sure sport mode would be more fun, but from my 31000+ miles it's not.

I have tried sport mode with lane keep assist on and the closest following distance adaptive cruise control (1 car length) in stop and go driving on the freeway and it's pretty good, although sometimes it can surge ahead a bit too aggressively. I seldomly use this mode though, I find eco and manual regen every time as the most efficient overall mode. I typically get 4.5-5.1 miles/kwh in city driving using this technique. If Honda allowed the regen to permanently remain at level 4 ( as it does in sport mode) it would ideal. I love the car for its efficiency and overall savings and hopefully Honda will extend it 2 more years

18. GHTech

GHTech Member

Considering that the Clarity EV is a "special" lease. What happens when one goes past the 36 month / 36K factory warranty?

19. I leased my Clarity EV back in 2017 december (22 months in). This us my mileage as of today, I live in socal. I leased it at $199 a month with $0 down. I would say I drive at least 50 miles a day, averaging around 18,000 a year. I will probably hit 56,000 miles before returning my lease. So far, my infotainment system has rebooted twice/resetted all my settings and one time my AC didn't work till I restarted my car. My tires are close to being bald in the middle, I rotate my tires every 6 months. Overall, I love this car. It gets me from point A to point B with no range anxiety. I average 75 mph on the carpool lane, range maintains well. Debating if I need to change to new tires soon. It does have a 60,000 tread warranty though. I've looked at other options, such as the Nissan leaf, the bolt, and model 3. Honestly, for the price and the mileage that honda is offering...nothing compares to the clarity. They are really well built, I absolutely love the no interior squeaking sound. The adaptive cruise control is a bit scary though, it lags for about .2 seconds before actually stopping...so set your following distance to far. This car is basically 80% Tesla, for $200 a month. I'm sold! I do have to warn you, when it rains you have to lightly tap on the accelerator or else you'll get the wheel spin from the instant torque. Other than that, I have no other complaints about this car. The warranty, you don't have to worry much about because the battery warranty is about 8 years. The rest is just basic stuff that you can fixed for less than purchasing the extended warranty. It's an electric car! I mean if your car ever breaks down, honda could tow it free for you to the nearest dealership, but most auto insurance policy has towing included in their package. I hope this helps! 20191028_073742.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app