Blind Spot Monitoring issues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Oct 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

My Kona EV shows every close car on the left, but misses many on the right. The book is not clear (to me) on what is or is not detected. My dealer stared at me like I was speaking Martian. After 5 hours, they blamed it on the dash cam (wired). Obviously removing the dash cam had no effect. How do you test BSM? What else can I do?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Never have had any passenger side detection issues to this point. I would suspect one of the little round bumper sensors is not working properly on the rear right side.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

my detection is actually over-sensitive.. I'm already 10 foot ahead of the car in front of which I want to merge and I still get the warning.

R P likes this.
  5. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

I have also noticed some scenarios where a car on the right side was missed. Or partially missed. It seems that if it's a long truck that I've partially passed, you'd think the warning would be on, but it's more often not. I wonder if the sensor shoots "under" the car next to you. Which is more likely with a truck of course.
    But it seems to work fine with normal cars or SUVs.

ehatch likes this.
  6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

It is a blind spot warning for vehicles in your blind spot, not beside you. If you can see the vehicle it is not in your blind spot. It seems pretty good at identifying this. It also detects the rate of speed difference when passing. If you pass quickly it never lights up.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I disagree. While you are right the term is "Blind Spot Warning" the system should be warning if it is unsafe to lane change under any circumstance that means if a car is beside or behind you. Other manufacturers have much better systems that detect cars until they are out of the danger area. In addition some folks have reduced peripheral vision so their blind spots are much wider than yours may be. This was one of the key features in the decision to purchase a new vehicle. Personally I am disappointed with Hyundai's system. Seems to be a bit on the cheap side. Another example of a 3 being sold as a 9.

ehatch likes this.
  9. RDA

RDA Member

That is not exactly right. If you can see the other vehicle it may not light up. If you put your turn signal on to move onto that lane it will beep and I believe light to alert you.

Bugblndr likes this.
  10. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I am not sure who you disagree with, but I stand by my statement that our system isn't as good as many others.

There have been many instances of having to double check the mirrors when lane changing. The neighbouring cars are definitely in a blind spot but not shown on the HUD. Your blind spots may vary.

For people with full vision it may help but for others, the systems found on equally expensive albeit low end Mercs or Tesla is far superior.

I think my main point is that Hyundai's tech is very much basic entry level stuff that we paid a premium for.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

11. Paul DeLeon

I have done a bit of digging. Seems there are two sensors, one in the bumper and one mounted in the mirror. In my case the mirror one is not working properly.
    Tomorrow I try to get my dealer to fix (or even acknowledge) the problem.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. You are right on the 2 radar sensors however they are both in the rear bumper (one on each side) with the indicator warning located in the mirrors (and on the HUD if equipped)

Rear cross traffic also uses those same sensors when in reverse.

14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I'm having inconsistent BCW when I have had cars in my blind spot because i catch one in a partial shoulder check [peripheral vision],and NO indicator comes on on the HUD [ peripheral vision]. When I remember,and I am bored in traffic,I am actively watching for the BCW as vehicles come into range. 18 wheelers, the BCW will detect if it's behind me,but if it's changed lanes,coming parallel to me like the Hyundai picture,no,despite the size of the truck.

Supposedly it's supposed to come on at 30km/18miles.

When the Kona's BCW does work,it's excellent as I can see the vehicles in the HUD similar to when I am in the Model X,traffic aware, BSD. Albeit not perfect.Drivers have to still pay attention. The Forward Collision Assistance /Warning,and braking has been consistent, especially while in ACC.

Agree with @EnerG , Hyundai's BCW has been weaker than what I am used to.

Drive attention warning has never worked because I have squinted enough when I forgot sunglasses,or even yawned more than I expected that should've activated DAW.

BCW nz.jpg BCW-mobile.jpg

15. Where did the second picture come from showing detection off the mirror?
    When I check the website shown the detection is off the rear bumper as described in the manual:
    https://www.hyundai.co.nz/suv/kona-electric/technology

16. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Hyundai USA site. This is the issue. US, NZ, and Canada seem to have variation of the same information. When I tried to search for the BCW speed.

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Interesting. You could test this by having a passenger block the side of the mirror with a metallic object of some sort.

18. Paul DeLeon

Thanks everybody. I guess Hyundai oversold its promises. My USA version only detects from the rear bumper, and then only if the speeds are just so. I sure would like to have the car I saw in the adso_O