Remote climate questions

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ohliuw, Oct 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

This is getting frustrating, and the winter is fast approaching, so I need to sort it out soon.

When I use the key, I get different outcomes. Sometimes it will work, but it won’t start charging the battery again (it’s still plugged in), so when I go in, it’s already 10-15% drained. Is it the same for you guys?

Also, sometimes it will accept the command (I can tell by the blinking turn lights and the yellow flashing dot on the dash), but it won’t start blowing until I open a door! Anyone having this issue?

When I use the app to turn on climate, in 10% of the cases it won’t connect to the vehicle at all (I noticed it happened if the vehicle gets fully charged early in the night, so I suspect that it goes into some sort of deep sleep).

the problem is that even when it manages to connect to the vehicle, it still doesn’t work properly. I get the response and can see the inside temp in my car, then it goes back to charging (I can also see the green light at the charging port turning on). However, the blowers do not get activated - they only start blowing after I open a door. I can tell the heating element was activated because the air that comes out of the vents immediately is hot.

i tried to go to the dealership, but it was a disaster. First of all, I scheduled appointment through the app, and I could see it in my app, but it wasn’t in their system wtf??? Anyway, I start explaining the problem and they looked at me as if I just landed from Mars. They said they would need to research blah-blah and that they would get back to me, which never happened. There is zero point of trying to chase them down as they are 110% ignorant when it comes to ZEV.

I was hoping someone here would have had issues and got them fixed, so that I can tell them what to do :(

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

So one big question is are you using an L1 or L2 charger? It works best on L2.

The other thing is the car temp and ambient temp have to be in the right range for the system to start. If it isn't cold enough to require heat (in Honda's view) it won't start. If not hot enough to require cooling it won't start.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pegsie likes this.
  4. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Using L1 at the moment. Getting L2 installed hopefully next week, so I will see if it helps.

I’ve been trying it in the mornings when temps were around 4-5C. The app when working reported ranges were something like 5-8C inside.

On a side note, is there way to display the inside temp (on dash, on screen)?

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I know of no way to read the inside temp.

6. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

I’ve seen the app display the inside temp when remote climate is on. That’s the only way as far as I know, which is kinda annoying.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

This time of year climate control doesn't work for me at all. My meaning is that the car is "smart" enough not to engage it if it believes the car is in the comfortable range. Appears to be about 50F-77F (as shown in the chart posted by jdonalds). Our outside temps do drop below 50F, but my car is in an unheated garage. The over-night garage temps have not gone below 50.

So I can hit the FOB, or use the App to turn it on, and even get status "Climate control is ON" -- no matter. It does absolutely nothing until the car determines the interior temp is out of the comfortable range. i.e. in my case, I absolutely need the car to go below 50F for anything to happen.

Same thing happened to me last year. And yep, once temps really dipped, climate started working reliably for me-- and not otherwise.
    (Separate from the temp range needed, I have occasionally had issues remotely engaging climate control which I attribute to a communications error).
    My daily scheduled climate works consistently once temps dip low enough.

9. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

There's your answer: Clarity will precondition when plugged into an L2 EVSE by drawing power from the EVSE. If plugged into an L1 cable it will only precondition if the traction battery is fully charged - it will NOT draw preconditioning power from a 120 V receptacle. I've found that the app works best when both the Clarity and the phone are on the same WIFI network - but the fob ALWAYS works for me, even at distances greater than 10 metres.

AveSharia likes this.
  10. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

So L1 120v charger conditions for climate control to work as mentioned by others are: battery fully charged or car not plugged in.
    Then, L2 240v can do both at the same time whenever and it also draw the power from the wall will still charging the car (more slowly).
    App works best when connected to the same WIFI for telling/updating the KM/MILEAGE of the car.
    But for the rest, in my case it always works flawlessly even if i'm outside.
    The ambient temperature inside is always told by the app after turning ON climate control.
    In very cold condition 1 level of heating seat may be applied by climate control.

11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

From my own experience, any L2 evse will allow climate control to engage (unless temps are between ~50-77F). Doesn't matter if it's a fancy Juicebox 40amp evse all the way down to the Honda OEM evse running at 11amps on 240v. Any L2 240v evse will work.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AveSharia

AveSharia New Member

That's my experience. The app even says it won't pre-condition while charging on 120V when you start Remote Climate, but if the app shows 240V charging on one of our suicide cables from the DIY thread, it works and doesn't lose charge. The lowest I've seen is 99% charge in the app, after almost 30 minutes of preconditioning.

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I have always gotten preconditioning to work by fob and app on a Level 2 EVSE as long as ambient temps were within the temperature ranges set by Honda and all doors/windows were closed and left alone. It does sometimes take a few minutes to begin so you have to be patient.

It’s a different story on the Honda OEM Level 1 EVSE run normally on a 20 Amp 110 Volt circuit ( I have no experience running it at 220 Volts).
    Level 1 is just not powerful enough to charge AND precondition simultaneously, so preconditioning will only be possible AFTER the charging is completed and this makes it mostly useless in public and usually inconvenient at home, especially if your SOC is low. It has worked acceptably for me for ac cooling the few times I tried (before I got my ChargePoint), but not so much for heating. The amount of heat possible on Level 1 is rather anemic so it’s very slow to warm up the cabin and can’t keep up with lower temperatures found up north, in dead of winter, or parked outside.
    I haven’t tried preconditioning not plugged in since I somewhat obsess about my range and only preheat car at home and use the heater sparingly or usually not at all.

FWIW, I find the ac to hardly affect my range compared to the heater and the ac comes on so cold and quick that I have never felt the need to precondition in the summer. IR reflecting tint on all windows (even windshield) makes for very little heat gain even in full sun.
    YMMV, but I’m totally happy with it.

15. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

every time I try to engage climate, it’s always at fully charged battery.

Also, the temps are well below 50F - some mornings I had frosted windows, so around 32F.

And as I said, it does seems to turn the heater in, it’s just not blowing it. I suspect some software bug, but I will see how it goes after the L2 gets installed

16. blastfurnace

blastfurnace Member

I have tried everything I can think of to get mine to work without any luck. This morning it was 42 degrees. I used the key fob to unlock the doors and then held down the "fan" button for 4-5 seconds. The hazards flashed, but 20 minutes later, nothing. The hondalink app just times out on me, although it accurately reports that I am charging, the charge status, miles, fuel tank, etc. If I try to schedule preconditioning, it allows me to make the schedule, but when I hit the "done" button, nothing happens.

17. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

glad to hear I am not alone! Just to clarify, you press the lock, not the unlock, right?
    Also, after the flashing, wait 5 minutes and then open one of the rear doors. Usually this starts the blowers for me, and the air comes out hot right away. Try this and let me know the outcome.

for the HondaLink, try to unregister the car from the app and then re-add. At some point it started working for me, it could have been after I reactivated.

I am sure these are software bugs, but even my 6 yrs old knows more about ZEV than the Honda dealers.

18. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Correct: The sequence is LOCK, then "fan" until the light blinks - approx. 3 seconds.