Clarity test as a hybrid only (no charging)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DapperDano, Oct 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

Thought that was pretty impressive, does as well as an insight. Hadn’t heard this perspective before.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Its how I drive the car, except I use engine charge selectively to refill the battery, see Driving with HV Charge thread. It works great!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. It would have been helpful if he had provided some information about the type of driving done during the one week period, rather than ramble on about all the places the car can be plugged in and the length of the cord. After all, it is a review about driving the car for a week without plugging it in.

The takeaway after 7-plus minutes is: I drove the car for a week in HV mode and averaged 50mpg. It could have been a 15 second video. The video is well produced and edited, it simply lacks content relevant to the topic.

5. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

During his acceleration test he seems to indicate he has less acceleration in HV mode than he had in EV mode... I did not think that was true.

He also made no comments about MPG when the battery is full: No regeneration. I wonder if he started his week with a full, or empty battery. Did he use HV charge? Did he end his week with zero charge? Did he account for EV miles in his calculation of MPG?

Really not much useful information, but a nice propaganda piece.

6. It’s not.

When I did my full throttle acceleration runs in various modes I got similar times regardless of mode selected. However, one thing to look out for is that you’re definitely pressing through the “detent”, which is not subtle. So, it’s possible he didn’t have the gas pedal all the way down when he thought he did.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I am a huge fan of the clarity. I love the way it drives, its economy and roominess. That being said I would not recommend this car to anyone with no way to plug it in. I’ve driven it in the city a few times on pure hv and find it ponderous. The insight is too small, so for a user with no electricity access I’d go for the accord hybrid in a heartbeat. For how I personally use the car and given that I do have access to electricity this car is a no brainer over the insight or the accord hybrid.

Kerbe likes this.