Honda Clarity 2019 (Winter tires/need help)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Andrew97, Oct 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

Should i go for 235/45/18 for winter tires (keeping the same rims as summer) or buy alloy rims and go down to like 215 or 225/45/17" with of course the same diameter as the 18''.

I'm really wondering what to do, because winter here in QC are harsh and i need good winter tires.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wouldn't you want a higher-profile tire if you switched to a smaller diameter wheel to keep the overall diameter the same?

I didn't like the OEM rims very much so I bought the Clarity accessory wheels for 3 seasons and put snow tires on the OEM rims for the other season. The resonators that are in the mega-buck OEM wheels don't do much to quiet the Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires I chose. Other forum members have suggested Michelin X-Ice tires are quieter, but I swear by the Hakkapeliittas (and they're fun to spell).

4. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

That's what I did last winter and bought Micheline X-Ice Xi3 they seemed to work just fine and as a plus seemed quieter than the OEM tires. Full disclosure--I am not an aggressive driver.

5. Not a Clarity owner yet, but I'd recommend 17" rim with a higher profile tire to match the circumference of the stock tire. The smaller wheel and taller tire should be slightly better for efficiency and more tolerant of broken pavement.

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Part of the decision depends on how long you're planning to keep the Clarity. If it's a short-timer (3 years or less), just get a set of Michelin X-Ice in the stock size and do the seasonal switchover. If you plan to keep it a long time, an extra set of rims would be easier to do the semi-annual trade out. Size does not matter so much as getting the winter tires. Don't sweat the small stuff and just do it. Extra rims can be had at discounttiredirect.com if you go that way. As a personal preference, I don't like the narrow 45 series tires and wish the Clarity came with OEM 235/50-17 tires. But, I did buy a set of the 235/45-18 X-Ice last year and love them as a winter tire. I'm about to do the winter change-over at my local tire place which does it for free because I bought the tires there.

And, by the way, use the search term winter tires on this forum and you'll get hours of reading and opinions on this topic!!!!!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FWIW: the owners manual recommendation is for winter tires to be the same size and load range as the OEM tires.

235 is the tire width in mm.
    45 is the aspect ratio. Some refer to this as the sidewall height. It is expressed as a percentage of the width.
    18 is the wheel diameter in inches.

A 235/45-18 will be the same width as a 235/50-17. One is not more narrow than the other. There are slight variations between manufacturers.

Should you decide to convert to a 17” wheel and tire, consult a tire size chart and get the closest possible match to the OEM tires.

Size does matter.

9. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Re the noise: I bought Blizzaks and I can state that at least on roads here, they are noticably louder than the OEM—a kind of zooming sound.

Though they are great in snow, If I could do it all over, would get the Michelins if they are quieter.

(Full disclosure: the snow tires are on aftermarket rims (no resonator), so it’s actually the Blizzaks+non-OEM rims that are louder than OEM tires+OEM rims).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

I decided to go with the stock rims and just go for same size because im not planning keeping the car more than 3 and half years.

I've found some tires but the speed rating is H instead of V 235/45/18 98HXL and not 94V.
    Continental winter contact SI Plus.

What should i do?

11. H rating is 130 mph.
    Clarity is reportedly limited to 101mph.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

Yeah i doubt i will go more than 70 mph the whole winter, so i bought them. Thanks every one.

MPower and Sandroad like this.