Planning long trips

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by DerekA, Oct 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DerekA

DerekA New Member

I have about 1000 miles on my EV so I'm still learning how to cope with charging. For my day-to-day commuting, it's easy, I have a JuiceBox 40A charger I installed in my garage. However, I have been exploring the idea of a longer road trip. My friends Tesla figures it all out for you, so I'm trying to figure out how to do that with my Niro.

Is there a good app for that? I have the Plug Share app and the one for Chargepoint, but neither seems to have that capability. Is there some other app I need for that kind of functionality? I can do it manually on the Chargepoint app, but I'm still a little weak on the lingo... Which chargers can I use? That kind of stuff. I have to figure that L2 chargers are impractical for long trips, other than overnight. I know we can't use the ChadeMo (sp?) without an adapter and the other L3s are just called "Combo". Is that the one we use?

Thanks in advance...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. krumbs

krumbs New Member

I am not sure of an app that will plan it all out for you as I have only done city driving so far. But the Level 3 Fast Charger you need is the CCS/SAE Combo. In the Plugshare app you can set the filter to only show you the Combo chargers. That should help with your planning.

4. TandM

TandM Active Member

I like ABetterRoutePlanner.com (though it is definitely still beta and I do find I need to supplement with Plugshare). ABRP does help figure out thing like elevation changes, weather, etc.

Plugshare has a new trip planner feature but it doesn't seem to keep any of my preferences in mind when I am trying to plan a route in the app (it works better on the website though).

5. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Totally agree -ABRP is the bomb...

6. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Are the costs accurate on ABetterRoutePlanner.com? It shows some of the "fillups" at Electrify America as being $25 - $30 which is only about half what it would cost to fill my Tundra do go equivalent miles. I thought they were like .25/min, but I haven't done a road trip with my Niro yet, so I don't know how spendy it's going to be to do fast charging.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Actually, EA is as much as twice as expensive as ChargePoint or EVgo, etc, because they generally have faster chargers. But even under ideal conditions (Warm pack, low state of charge 10-20%), the Niro EV will only charge at a maximum of 77 kW or so to a point around 50% state of charge before it starts throttling the charge rate. So there is considerable legitimate debate regarding whether or not 100 or 150 kW EA chargers are worth the premium you pay. On the other hand any juice is good juice, if there is no better option when and where you need it...

9. TandM

TandM Active Member

Yes, for the most part I have found their estimates for what I will spend to be accurate.

10. DerekA

DerekA New Member

Thanks guys. I checked out ABetterRoutePlanner.com and it looks quite useful. I hope they expand on it's UI though. As an American, I'd like to be able to switch over to miles instead of kilometers and set some presets in it. It appears I can save routes, but it must be cookie-based as I never had to create an account or anything.

It would be REALLY great if they made an Andriod version that could be accessed with Android Auto and integrate with the car. ;)

11. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Click on Show Settings, then click on Show More Settings; voila, your wish is granted. And it runs great on Android, but no integration with Android Auto yet. You can run Android Auto on your head unit and ABRP on your phone at the same time, though...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DerekA

DerekA New Member

Head unit? Is that another way of referring to the infotainment system?

14. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Yes, that oblong touch screen in the center of your dashboard...

15. DerekA

DerekA New Member

I've had touchscreens in the past few vehicles I've owned. My last vehicle was a jacked-up F150 Lariat with a nice interior, but I got tired of throwing $100 bills into the gas tank. I pay less for my Niro payment + power than I did for gas alone with the $150. So I'm used to dealing with nice electronics packages, I've just never heard it called a "head unit".

16. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Probably a throwback term from my Navy days...

DerekA likes this.
  17. TandM

TandM Active Member

I have mine set to miles. It's under the more settings (I simply switched from metric to imperial).

18. DerekA

DerekA New Member

I didn't see the "More Settings" link. Thank you.

TandM likes this.