Counting Crossovers -- tracking what's coming and when.

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Oct 26, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Crossovers (CUV) are the hottest automotive segment, and there will be a number of all-electric models available soon. Here, I thought we could list them and there expected arrival, as well as some other metrics, like cost and range. The CUV definition is a bit squishy, so we may be a little inclusive and have some models that some consider to be too big or small for the segment.

As there are a number of variables, that could change -- new models announced, dates moved around -- so I'll keep updating this first post to reflect new information.

Audi E-Tron Quattro Range: 204 miles Battery: 95 kWh Arrived: 2019
    Audi e-tron Sportback Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: 2019
    BMW iX3 Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: ???
    Buick Bolt-based CUV Range: ??? Battery: 60 kWh? Arrives: ???
    Byton Range: 300 miles Battery: ??? Arrives: ???
    Chevy performance CUV Range: Battery: Arrives:
    Ford Mach 1 Range: 300 miles Battery: ??? Arrives: 2019
    Hyundai Kona Electric Range: 250 Miles Battery: 64 Arrives: late 2018
    Jaguar I-Pace Range: 240 miles Battery: 90 kWh Arrives: August 28, 2018
    Kia Niro Range: ??? Battery: 39.2 kWh or 64.2 kWh Arrives: 2018
    Kia Stonic Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: 2018
    Mercedes EQC Range: 200 miles? Battery: 80 kWh Arrives: 2020
    Mitsubish eX/e-Evolution Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: ???
    Nio ES8 Range: 220 NEDC Battery: 70 kWh Arrives: 2020
    Nissan Leaf-based CUV Range: ??? Battery: 60 kWh? Arrives: ???
    Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo Range: 250ish miles Battery: ??? Arrives: ???
    Rivian Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: 2020
    Tesla Model X Range: 237 or 295 miles Battery: 75 kWh or 100 kWh Price: $89,500 or $96,000
    Tesla Model Y Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: 2019
    Subaru CUV Range: ??? Battery: ??? Arrives: ???
    Volkswagen I.D. Crozz Range: 311 miles (NEDC) Battery: 81 kWh Arrives: 2020?
    Volvo XC40 EV Range: 200+ miles Battery: ??? Arrives: 2019

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jay Cole

Jay Cole New Member

My wife is looking for an Outlander PHEV when they finally come into stock (I know sacrilege the EiC of IEV can't convince his spouse to go all electric), but I'm pretty sure I can get her to switch to an I-Pace...if it is at the NAIAS this January - and Jag confirms a Summer arrive.

Fair disclosure: I have been all-electric/no gas stations for me since December of 2010 (LEAF)

/fingers crossed

Anil and Domenick like this.
  4. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or Jaguar I-Pace -- tough call! :p:p

All indications are the I-Pace is coming pretty soon. Probably sooner than Outlander PHEV, so your garage should be pretty sweet in a few months.

5. Jay Cole

Jay Cole New Member

Well, ETA on Outlander PHEV is ~10 weeks, so I have to pray that I can get to Detroit for NAIAS to get her sitting in a I-PACE before Mitsu calls her, (

The I-Pace (IMO) is like 3x the vehicle that the Outlander PHEV is (and of course is all-electric), so I think it will be an 'easy sale' for me...but she has been to too many event, seen too many concpets and missed arrivals to take any OEM at their word anymore, heeh

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Do you know what the range will be of the Kia Niro EV? I hope it's not just around 100. We don't need another Kia Soul EV. Should be at least 150 miles to be impactful at this point.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yeah, this is where the Niro falls down. According to this post, it will have a 28 kWh battery, which probably will mean around 100 miles of range.

It's a shame, really, because I imagine Kia would have a compelling price point, compared with its competitors.

9. JF Morissette

JF Morissette New Member

Jay, I thought you were waiting for a Pacifica Hybrid? You changed your mind? Or how many cars do you have?!

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Total shame. I really, really like the Niro and was hoping it would become a competitive EV since it's on an EV-specific platform with its Hyundai stablemate.

11. Jay Cole

Jay Cole New Member

~ I like to 'collect them all'...lol

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Loboc

Loboc New Member

I'd love to see a BEV XT4 or the Buick CUV-EV.

Cypress and Domenick like this.
  14. protomech

protomech New Member

15. Thanks, @protomech! That's an awesome list you have going on.

I missed that Audi (will investigate), totally forgot about the Macan, and only saw news of the XC40 PHEV (will look into this one as well).

16. Josh Bryant

Josh Bryant Member

Count me as another that can’t convice my wife to go all Electric. She had too many close calls in the 2011 LEAF with a tired battery.

Still holding out for a VoltUV. We had a QX80 on vacation last week and unfortunately she loved it. They would have to put a plug on that tank before I could but it.

17. QX80...ugh. That thing's practically a crime against humanity, not to mention automotive design.

Closest competitor among these, I think, might be the Audi E-Tron Quattro. Might have a bit more of a posh feel than the Volvo XC40 EV, but more affordable than the Jaguar (I'm guessing, since prices aren't yet available). Maybe show her this video of the concept and see what she thinks.

18. David S.

David S. New Member

According to this, BMW has two electric SUVs coming up: X3 BEV for 2020 (500 km NEDC range) and i6 BEV for 2021
    A BEV version of the Volkswagen T-Roc (based on the e-Golf) is expected, but I'm not sure it will come to North America.

19. David S.

David S. New Member

Is it possible to display the list in a table? Do the forums support html <table> or BBCode [table] tags?

20. I believe so. I need to give it a shot soon. It certainly needs to be cleaned up some.

21. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    interestedinEV likes this.
  22. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    Clean Technica uses some great graph and tables tools for their website. Can’t rember the site they use at the moment (need to get to my PC), but you could upload csv data, and it would auto generate tables and graphs that you could then use embed html codes with.

23. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    Should include the Bolt EV, as GM markets it as CUV. unless AWD option is a required for your CUV classification.