So this just happened

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by victor_2019, Oct 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

Is this car totaled?

There is some bending of the frame or whatever it is called and the door in the back doesn't align or close properly anymore

20191009_104318.jpg 20191009_103915.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm pretty sure there's someone who will be able to assess that for you.

With nothing hybrid-related affected and no air bags deployed, I'd be very surprised if that were a total loss.

Bender likes this.
  4. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I'm going to take it to a dealer-affiliated body shop that works with my insurance company

the only thing I'm concerned with is the damage to the bottom of the B pillar and the fact that the door in the back is now misaligned.

5. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I had an accident similar to this, but worse (side-impact caused air bag deployment) in a 2012 Chevrolet Volt when it was less than a year old when a car t-boned me in an intersection (they ran the light). The shop cut out and replaced the pillar and replaced the doors. Always had a little wind noise in the back door after the repair, so watch for that. Probably due to the pillar not being perfectly welded in place to the same exact location of the original, or the fit of the new rear door. Other than that, since the damage was limited to the doors and the pillar, no real risk of any long-lasting electronic problems. Traded the car a couple of weeks ago, and other than the slight wind noise, never any problems with the repair. Car never even rattled. I bet you will be fine after a reputable shop fixes it. Do be really picky with the paint match. Mine had a little too much orange peel look when I went to pick it up. They buffed it/wet sanded it and when I came back again, I couldn't tell the replaced area from the rest of the car.

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Don’t know what part of the world you live in, but in my area that’ll run somewhere between $6k and $10k to fix. They may cut and section that part of the pillar in, if Honda has a procedure allowing it. Highly unlikely Insurance would total it. But if that pillar cannot be repaired or sectioned for whatever reason, it may need entire uniside replaced as an assembly...and if this concept comes up indeed total loss is possible.

Pick a qualified shop and trust them to work with your insurance company to get firm answers.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

^^^
    Agreed, insurance won't total this damage.
    The body shop will cut out the pillar damage and replace with a new section and be good as new.
    I had this done on my BMW when it had unibody damage. Costed over $12,000 for the entire repair.... But then a $60K car is not worth to total it...

9. Your claims adjuster will be able to answer that question.

Should the vehicle be deemed a total loss, it may be worth considering a buy back of the vehicle from the insurance company, if permissible.

The parts could be sold for many multiples of the price paid.

10. Chuck

Chuck Member

I found a ProFirst place near Seattle to fix mine. ProFirst is the name of the Honda certified body shops and they did a great job. I was worried about matching the white pearl-like paint but they got if perfect. Here is how you find one: https://owners.honda.com/collision/profirstbodyshop/

Hope everything works out well.