What the (*&(*& is a "Panic Alert"??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Oct 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

So I drive down to our beach house this morning. Arrive at 6:30AM, and am in the middle of unpacking the car and feeding the cats.

All of the sudden, with no warning or anything else, the horn starts going off on the car. I initially thought it was because I left the doors open - that wasn't it. I tried locking the doors, and that made the thing stop beeping. Probably woke up half the neighborhood in the process, however.

I then see that "BlueLink" reported a "Panic Alert". Whatever that is. So my question is, what triggered this, and how do I keep it from happening again?

Kind of ticked off about this one.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

It happens when you push the horn button on the remote. :)

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

OK, but I *didn't* push the button. The key fob was in my pocket, and at the time I had no idea why this started happening.

Is there a way to disable this nonsense so it doesn't happen again?

5. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

I have a small leather pouch that I keep the fob in, in my pocket. It's happened to me before that by bending or stretching in a certain way, another key or object in the same pocket might push up against the button and set off the alarm. Had the same problem with my old Toyota. The pouch makes it less likely something in your pocket pushes the button.

I'm not aware of any way to disable that, perhaps short of cracking open the fob and "modifying" the micro-switch below that button....

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

It also happens if you lock your car and then open it with the emergency key.. Happened to me recently.. I was hooked up to a DC fast charger and I didn't want to interrupt charging by unlocking the car with the fob, so I used the manual emergency key in the fob.. Big Mistake.. Alarm went off..

Joev likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

9. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Haha! I've been in the same boat as you. Car is located in the garage and I'd be messing around with stuff in the basement with the key in my pocket, and all of a sudden the car alarm goes off. The dogs go nuts and I have to fumble and try to shut it off. No fun for sure! The pouch has reduced that occurrence to 0.
    Now if only there was a way to combine all the car key fobs into one, so I don't have a full pocket.. :)

10. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Just happened to have seen this last evening. Should work for you:

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

tonycpsu and electriceddy like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

This just happened to me the other evening too.... Key was in my pocket.

13. I have used the fast charge in my area and lock the car, go shopping....come back and unlock the car with the button on the door handle and the charger never stops. Not sure if we are both doing something different BlueKonaEV?

14. I have had that happen to me in the past, with several cars, when I carried the FOB in my pocket.

15. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

I had no idea the manual key would do this -- thanks for the warning.

JoEV is right, though. You can unlock the car with the radio fob while it is charging without interrupting the charge. At a rest stop we often do this, unlocking the car and showing it off to interested future EV owners or retrieving some part of lunch that was forgotten in the back seat. No problems; charging continues until you do something deliberate to interrupt it.

16. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

EricY, I haven't done this on my Kona yet, but I'm sure I will. I've definitely hit the Panic button on my Mazda3 while working in my garage, loading the car, cleaning up tools in my basement, and while playing frisbee with my kids. It's like a pocket dial on a mobile phone -- unfortunate and disruptive but part of the price we pay for modernity. Until we figure out how to prevent it, as in David's Life Hack video. Not sure it's prudent, but I'll consider it!

17. I'm pretty sure that a drop in charging rate only happens during AC charging when doors are unlocked.

electriceddy likes this.