Tesla Pickup likely to have solid state and super caps?

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Sep 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

I think 12 wings did a great job examining the issue and what he presents seems convincing although its not specific to the pick up the pick up seems the logical place to make the announcement. It seems specific to the new Roadster and the new S & X but also by implication the Pickup because of the extreme claims made.

If you look at the Plaid S proto type you see the the new roadster air intake only its inverted.
    My guess is that solid state plus super caps will be the biggest leap we've seen yet.

1. Reduces weight- apparently in the S at least 350lbs So glad Musk gave us the expected 7:05 score on S. Presumably it has a dialed down inverter relative to the roadster likely a lot less pack.

2. Much better thermal and cold weather characteristics
    About eliminates heat so it is surprising to see the increased air intake- expectation is it will use prismatic and have reduced cooling- maybe what is going on is prismatics which may be cheaper with solid state have worse heat characteristics but better cost characteristics with solid state (not prior) and so cooling is retained? Regardless we saw ultimate stress test it would seem with endless start stop accelerations jaunts all night from the roadster at it debut.

3. Reduced cost- so many less steps such a simpler more reliable process

4. Reduced space, makes room for the super caps.

5. Increased range, if the pick up is over 400 miles the surely the new Plaid S will be.

6. Increased durability
    Solid state helps with the million miles claims because those unneeded chemicals aren't there to make problems, but the super caps will as well. And of course the super caps will cushion the battery.

7. Faster charging.
    Does the V3 charger have a mode we don't know about or will there be V4. I thought heat was a limiter on charging but solid state doesn't heat on charging or not close to as much. Seems like it could recoup 2x as quick as the Model 3 V3 or at 2000 mph or 33 miles per minute or 150 miles in 5 minutes. New S and X will presumably be better too. Beyond this I thought the expectation with solid state was 6x faster charging, if that is a factor a mega charger level on car would make it faster than gas by a good bit.

8. Better Regen. The super caps should allow regen even when the battery is topped.

9. Better acceleration.

10. Better safety. Although Teslas are already much safer than obsolete ICE on fires, where fires that do occur are 1/10 as likely and much slower to happen even if harder to put out- solid state gets rid of that non issue.

It is interesting to note the shape of the roadster because that is a down force shape but it still has massive range and that massive range means even better real charging speeds. But using an aerodynamic down force shape (even without dynamic aero) for plus 250mph but still getting huge range (despite a shape not really optimized for range) implies a massive leap possible for the other vehicles. I can see sub 30K model 3s with over 400 miles of range. Tesla can really push the Model 3 even further beyond the pack weight reduction and power, range, and reliability increases by possibly just using more giga steel while improving safety further. Giga steel can apparently reduce the weight of a non aluminum or normal steel vehicle by 1/3 so there may be more weight savings there. I am guessing the new 3s with prismatic packs could come in under 3500lbs even with 400k plus of range.
    It is a tribute to the flexibility of Tesla that they just go where things need to go, even back to prismatic if that makes sense for solid state where it didn't with liquid electrolyte. If Tesla does prismatics my guess is they've improved them big time as you would totally expect from a prismatic that will be more like a brick than a gel pack- I imagine novel cooling channels.

As for headroom on lithium Ion the theoretical limit on the tech is something like 7500 or 15000 miles per charge for a car type application so there is still a long way to go even if carbon batteries or something else comes along.

FloridaSun likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Roy_H

Roy_H Active Member

Tesla is not characterising their new Maxwell tech batteries as "solid state" although it appears to be a step in that direction. So no, not the pickup or any other Tesla car is slated to have solid state batteries in the next several years. Capacitors, highly unlikely, certainly not for the pickup, slight possibility for the new Roadster.

4. Roy_H

Roy_H Active Member

Tesla is not characterising their new Maxwell tech batteries as "solid state" although it appears to be a step in that direction. So no, not the pickup or any other Tesla car is slated to have solid state batteries in the next several years. Capacitors, highly unlikely, certainly not for the pickup, slight possibility for the new Roadster.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Interesting video.. Thanks for posting it!