The built-in navigation system vs Android Auto or Car Play

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Francois, Oct 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Francois

Francois Active Member

While the salesperson from my dealership handed me my car a few days ago, he said that it is free for 3 months.

1) If this is true, how much does it cost afterwards?

2) Since Android Auto and Car Play are free alternatives, what would be the advantage of paying for the Kona's built-in navigation system? Does it offer benefits that Android Auto does not? Maybe its only the built-in nav that can interface with the HUD found in the Ultimate?

Thanks,

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I was told nav updates free for 5 years,

4. Here in the US it is free for 3 years. You will get 2 free updates per year within that year.

The built in system is the only one that shows you the turn in the HUD. And it will calculate if you can reach your destination with your current charge. (Not sure how accurately)

It is very outdated though. Roads, even major ones, might not be current. There is a whole new highway not in there in my area which has been there for over a year!

Charger locations are very outdated as well.

So you have to use different apps anyways.

Not sure what the price will be after the free period.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Probably varies by region but 3 months sounds like total BS. I've never heard of any in-car satnav being time-limited.
    In the UK I think it's one free update a year for 5 years.

6. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

BTW in some regions ( US, maybe Canana I think, not Europe) you can download and install map updates yourself

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

the dealer probably meant the Sirius radio free trial

NP27 and R P like this.
  9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have used Android Auto in the past - the disadvantage is that you must connect your phone with a USB cable to the car, and then fiddle around on the menu to bring up the navigation app. It then takes 30 seconds or so to initialize and show you a map, so you really need to go through all of these steps before you start driving, and it is enough of a nuisance that I didn't want to bother unless I needed directions. Sometimes I just like having the map up so I can see where I am without actually navigating, but the nuisance factor of getting it running makes it not worth the trouble.

Inbuilt navigation systems just come on automatically without needing to fiddle with anything. Yeah, the maps are static and can go out of date. On my ICE car, the updates were free downloads that you put on a USB stick. You plug the stick into the car and then it automagically updates (takes several hours however).

For Hyundai, it is sort of similar, except you use an SD card. I don't see price listed anywhere, but it sort of sounds like it is complementary if you have BlueLink - it isn't clear whether you can purchase separately if you don't have or don't want BlueLink. It sort of seems like it is tied to the VIN, so you can't just pass the SD card around to other Hyundai owners. That's how I read the tea leaves, anyways.

https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/content/myhyundai/us/en/resources/multimedia-and-navigation/how-to-update-your-vehicle-with-the-latest-map-update.html
    https://www.mapnsoft.com/hyundai/mapcare/

FYI - they mention that map updates are twice a year - April/October. A new update is probably close.

10. Just FYI. This year already had 2 updates. The second one is out for about a month now?

The first one got released in June I believe after there was problems with it.

11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I have the SEL, so I don't have the Navigation system. However, I would still use Android Auto if I would have Navigation on the car. I use WAZE which has real time traffic information as also warnings for speed traps etc..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Francois

Francois Active Member

For the 3 months free, my dealer was likely just confusing the Kona navigation with the Sirius/XM satellite radio. The navigation system is probably free as long as the Bluelink which since I am in Canada should be for 5 years.

I really like Google maps and Waze even more when it comes to up to date traffic updates and alternative route suggestions and but I do find convenient to get directions directly on the HUD rather than on the dashboard.

That said, when I tried the Kona navigation system yesterday I was disappointed on one aspect. Whenever it was giving me instructions I could not hear them over the music from the radio. I am used to Waze who lowers the volume of the music and to Google Maps who just pauses my music when they try to relay navigation instructions.

14. That's weird, mine definitely lowers the radio volume. Double check settings, and navigation volume!

15. Francois

Francois Active Member

I will do that now that I know there is such a setting, thanks. However
    I am very surprised that it would not be on by default as I would assume this to be what the majority would prefer.

16. Francois

Francois Active Member

I found the setting and it was already on. Don't know why it was not working.
    So I've turned it off, got out of the menu, went back in and turned it on. Maybe it will work next time I hit the road. :)

Esprit1st likes this.
  17. Make sure it's turned up as well.
    While the lovely lady is talking to you, turn up the volume, it will turn up only the navigation volume but leave the music volume at the setting that it was at. You can also tap the speaker icon on the nav screen and adjust the volume separately.

Francois likes this.
  18. Francois

Francois Active Member

Thanks for the advice. Somehow the setting for that one was configured for the on-screen volume button only. I've now checked it so that I can also adjust it using the physical dial.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There is one unique requirement of an EV, and that is the need for charging once in a while, and on a long road trip charging can become an issue. In theory the navigation system can help pick routes where you have access to decent chargers at appropriately spaced intervals.

If Google/Waze can do this, it isn't something I am aware of. Can the builtin navi help with this, or is it just the same version they ship with the ICE cars?

20. I'm pretty sure it's the same as ice cars. But it can search for chargers on your route, just like McDonald's ...

But then again, the chargers are not current.
    An app like Plugshare is super important to have.