2019 Clarity - are all SW issues fixed

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Red_ice, Oct 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Red_ice

Red_ice New Member

Hello,

New here (don't have a Clarity yet), been reading the threads regarding HV range fixes and warning light fixes. These all seem to be related to 2018.

Can anyone confirm if a 2019 needs to be checked for SW related to these (or other) issues, or if all issues will be guaranteed fixed with the 2019 model?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

May not get many answers to this question, as the 2019 Clarity only exists in Calif. Honda appears to have pulled out of the market in every other state.

Best answer to this would be to ask the dealer to plug it in and run any updates before you sign any paperwork.

My 2018 must have received those updates, as I've never experienced any of the issues you mentioned.

4. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

My 2018 made in December 2018 had all the updates when I picked her up in January.
    Good to reason that the 2019 has most of them.
    Let us know if your dealer has them on lot or has to special order it ??

5. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

My early 2019 was checked yesterday and I was told my car needed nothing. But I am having the charge point problem. Will wait to first service to ask if has that optional sw update.
    Great car!!

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Remember, the charging problem fix (SB 18-097) is NOT automatically installed by dealers. You have to specifically ask for it and state you are having charging problems at public chargers. I have no idea if that was ever added to newer model years at the factory.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jeffrey D. Titus

Jeffrey D. Titus New Member

I'm not sure why the comment on 2019 clarity only being sold in Calif. - I found them in NJ & NY near me & bought one. I'm approaching my first service call, so will ask about updates then.

9. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

That's not true. Plenty of 2019 models in Canada.

To answer original question, i have a 2019 and have no issues.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

From what I read, I believe that it's as sales go forward that Claritys will be special-order only in states other than California (Canada not being included in the special-order restriction). So any additional incoming 2019s and the mythical 2020s will go to Californian (and Canadian) dealers.

Kerbe likes this.
  11. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

They won't be special order, they just won't have them in stock on the dealer lot, you'll have to order it just like you order any car configuration thatthey don't have on the lot for you.

Or the same way it is in canada right now where dealers don't have the clarity in stock due to high demand. You have to order it and wait a few months to get it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I approached six different Honda dealerships in my state about ordering a 2019 - and all flatly refused: Dealerships are not required to comply with Honda's suggestions. I ended up purchasing a "new" 2018 (that had been sitting on the lot for nine months) in another state.

Honda announced that it would be selling and leasing the 2019 (and any subsequent year) Clarity ONLY in California.
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/low-demand-honda-clarity-phev-northeast-region/

"California is the largest market for plug-in hybrid vehicles. In order to meet customer demand, we are currently prioritizing supply of the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid in California, rather than allocating units for dealer inventory in other markets." Honda spokeswoman Jessica Pawl told Green Car Reports in an email.

14. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

Out of curiosity, what was their rationale, or should I say rationalization, for not allowing you to special order the vehicle? Perhaps Honda should allow consumers to order directly from their web site, like Tesla.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

15. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Perhaps they don't want the responsibility/bother of learning to service it.

Kerbe likes this.
  16. Nothing in the quote from the Honda spokesperson indicates their intentions for next month, next year or the following year. Only that they are “currently prioritizing supply...in California”. The wording “rather than allocating units for dealer inventory in other markets.” indicates that they may supply vehicles as ordered in other markets, but they will not be supplying vehicles to those dealers just to have in inventory.

Honda’s marketing decisions may be questionable at times. Moving a vehicle that has been sitting unsold for 9 months to a market where there is demand or halting shipments to markets where the vehicle is not selling seem to be moderately intelligent decisions.

17. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Variations on "we are not interested in selling or supporting this vehicle"...

18. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

That announcement was made in early August. Since the first Clarity PHEV went on sale in late 2016 Honda has sold fewer than 26,000 units (PHEV, as the EV and FCV are lease-only) in the US, the majority of those in California. This vehicle is expensive to produce and is unchanged in three years of manufacture: Honda isn't making money on the Clarity and doesn't seem to be investing in its future or in the plug-in serial hybrid powertrain. I would like to think that the vehicle will suddenly become wildly popular and that Honda will correct its shortcomings in future iterations but, in truth, I think it's little more than a compliance car in the US market and will probably fade from the scene. I'm glad that it's popular in Canada and California - I certainly like mine!

19. insightman

Actually, November, 2017, for the PHEV, the 3rd Clarity variation and the only variation Honda sells.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  20. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

21. insightman

Based on the chart, "Since the first Clarity Fuel Cell was leased in late 2016" would be the case. I wish Honda would divulge the delivery numbers of each Clarity variation. Some websites claim to know the breakdown, but those numbers don't come from Honda's official press releases.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  22. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

As I understand it, in a lease situation, the leasing arm of the company "purchases" the vehicles from the manufacturing arm and, so, is the de facto owner. This way the leasing arm can claim the Federal tax credit which, is certain CARB and ZEV states, they pass-along to the lessee - in all other states, they do not. It's kind of sad to think that Honda has put fewer than 26,000 Clarity of all three flavors on the road...

insightman likes this.
  23. Hoon

Hoon Member

Anyone know whether this would have been applied already at the factory for 2019 models? Thanks.