Mechanical “clunk” noise when turning in either direction

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Brennan Raposo, Jul 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone - So after 72 hours, I finally have my baby back!
    It's honestly wild just how much you miss driving electric. They loaned me a brand new fully loaded 2020 Elantra and it honestly felt archaic in comparison. I don't think I could ever go back to an ICE vehicle.

Back to the topic at hand - I've got some good news and some bad news.
    As per this thread, the issue has been fully resolved. I will post the parts on a later post but essentially, my entire front suspension was replaced with new and my vehicle no longer clunks when turning right or left.

Unfortunately, with the lower gear assembly replacement - I still have the very noticeable hissing noise. The service manager said he's confident there is no fix for this issue. He acknowledged that it is a widespread issue but believes it comes down to a poor engineering decision. So as of this minute - there is no fix on the horizon.

navguy12, ehatch, Mdsweb and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Man, I so badly want to hear what this noise sounds like. How come nobody's been able to record and post a clear example of it? I keep wondering if I actually HAVE the problem and just don't know it!

4. 1 out of 2 is better than none, the hiss issue remains a mystery. Would be nice to know exactly what parts were replaced in the suspension (both sides)? or passenger only - if the dealer supplies you with that info.

5. And still to this day, don't hear it on our car. Have asked my wife (many times) and other friends that have driven with us to listen for it incl with windows down when near buildings,... but nothing. Only thing we hear is the VESS.

6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

ditto. and I now have 12000 km on it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Igor

Igor New Member

Привіт, друзі, я читаю ваші повідомлення про технічну проблему і починаю хвилюватися, як зробити правильний вибір, купуючи Kona. Мій Kona був куплений у США, і я живу в Україні, тому офіційний дилер мені не зможе допомогти. Вони не обслуговують автомобілі з американського ринку, тому мені доведеться вирішувати всі проблеми самостійно і за свої гроші. Моя Kona пробігла 1500 км з 20 грудня 2018 року. Прошу надати повну інформацію та фотографії всього, що було замінено. Я використовую Nissan Leaf проїхав 86000 км. проблем не має, за весь час 2 рази замінив ATF в коробці передач.

9. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

10. Більшість людей насправді не мають жодних проблем з Kona. Просто насолоджуйтесь своїм автомобілем, швидше за все, вам буде добре.

Most people actually don't have any issues with the Kona. Just enjoy your car, you will likely be fine.

11. Mdsweb

Mdsweb Member

Hey Brennan, you mentioned that you may post the parts used to fix the problem @ Burlington Hyundai. Not sure if you have already but if you wouldn’t mind sharing that info - I have the exact same issue with my Kona. Meeting with dealer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy and ehatch like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

The Hiss? Or the Clunk? Hiss here:
    Thread:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/high-pitched-motor-noise.5510
    Video (but with VESS):
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/high-pitched-motor-noise.5510/#post-60617
    Audio (no VESS):
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/high-pitched-motor-noise.5510/page-7#post-67630

14. WMA

WMA New Member

I thought they already tried the suspension and you were waiting for wheel bearings to see if that would fix it? Did they change the wheel bearings?
    I'm about to bring in my car for the same two problems and would be great to not have to go through all that wasted time trying different parts.

ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  15. Any update on this NP27, any parts ordered? I hope it doesn't come to this

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  16. I received a call on Friday to say a couple of parts (which were on backorder) were in and to schedule an appointment. I'm not sure exactly what parts they're trying next until I go in and get the work order/invoice. I believe something like a knuckle assembly or hub assembly? Anyway, I'm calling today to schedule an appointment. Once I get the work done I'll update once again. Keeping my fingers crossed!

electriceddy likes this.
  17. My noise appears to be gone! It seems third time's the charm. I've only driven it around town a little this afternoon/evening after picking it up from the dealership, but I couldn't hear any clicking/snapping/clunking noise when I turned, so I'm hoping it's done. I've attached part of my invoice showing what was done, for anyone in a similar situation. And thanks to this forum for providing information to suggest to the dealership! IMG_20191011_164951.jpg

r4dk0, navguy12, ehatch and 3 others like this.
  18. Great news, please post a issue/fix report here :
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/repair-issues-and-fixes.7097/
    in an attempt to gather a quick reference for all owners:)
    reference to this post would be helpful.

19. navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  20. justfortheride

justfortheride New Member

Hi:

So here has been what's going on: we've had an appointment where they could only barely hear the noise, struts were adjusted to no effect; popped in a couple weeks later when it was happening a lot and had a mechanic out for a ride, who heard it and took a look at something but w/o appt or loaner car available was told to book an appt. Booked a for a couple weeks later, and the sound wasn't happening. Went back tonight, had the front desk guy out he heard it, and booked an appt for a couple weeks in the future because that's when the loaner is available again.

What we've figured out is the noise is worse after a long day of driving, colder weather seems to make the noise disappear, and it pretty much exclusively makes the sound only when there are two people in the car, the noise is amplified when in a nose down decline position, when turning the wheel under low speeds, such as when in turning in/driving around in a parking lot.

I've made a video of the sound to document it because it sounds quite different (to me) from the clicking sound in the video posted earlier. I'm wondering if NP27 can comment on whether the noise in my video is similar?

Edit: in the video you can hear the sound of hands/skin on the steering wheel, but in addition you can hear like a clunking/creaking as the car turns the wheel and the weight shifts. In the video, the break is not engaged and the windows are up.

Anyone: any thoughts on the video? Like anything you've come across?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  21. justfortheride

Hi Brennan just hoping you could take a look at my video posted posted above to confirm if the sound was similar to yours?

22. justfortheride

Hi NP27, just hoping you could take a look at the video I posted above to see if the sound was similar to yours?

~ sorry everyone about the individual quotes/posts, wasn't really sure how to "tag" people in my original post ~

23. I'm assuming you're referring to the almost rumbling noise when turning the wheel? That's very different than my noise. Mine sounded like the clicking sound of the previous video. Also, it would only happen once when turning (had to be moving), I would then have to drive a little further and turn again before it would happen again. It did not occur continuously like your noise. Sorry that doesn't provide you with a possible solution. All the best getting it fixed. Keep persevering.