Hood Dampers (Bonnet Struts)

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by MartyDow, Sep 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Has anyone installed these on the Niro EV? Can you recommend the best kit to do so?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Your link is invalid ;)

4. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Works, what do these improve?

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

The hood/bonnet lifts itself and stays up with these installed. Read the thread on frunk for more context. Enjoy...

7. Barry W Finger

Barry W Finger New Member

8. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Oops! Try this one, Barry: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000033552067.html
    These make make it easy to lift the hood/bonnet and keep it up without needing the stock keeper rod. Handy if you want to create an aftermarket frunk, for example, as discussed in another thread on this forum...

9. Barry W Finger

Alright. Let us know how it goes! I’ve swapped out the headlight bulbs for LEDs as my first mod and that was easy and offered a significant benefit. Believe it or not I’m looking at wrapping the car as the limited paint colors was the one drawback I had to accept when I decided to buy.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Are you going with a full on wrap? You know, fascia, moldings, wheels, etc?

12. Barry W Finger

I think so as I’m not sure a partial wrap would look good. .my son recently graduated with a degree in industrial design and he has a successful YouTube car rebuild/modification channel so I’m going to try and talk him into making this one of his projects. Like most folks, cost matters so that reality will have to factor in.

13. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Well, make sure you let us see it; I'm intrigued...

14. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

15. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

16. mf989

mf989 Member

This is the dumbest thread ever. Why would anyone want hood struts as a modification? I get that it is a nicer mechanism, but I can think of dozens of more interesting areas to improve the vehicle than this. How often are you even opening the hood? Are you planning the backlight the motor compartment and add a smoke machine too? This is an EV, the point is very low maintenance so opening the hood is counter to that.

17. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

I suggest you read the thread on "frunk" to understand the context. The other suggestion I have in mind would be inappropriate for a public forum...

18. mf989

mf989 Member

Fair enough! I did see that thread before but didn't make the connection. Thanks for clearing it up.

19. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

I know there's an apology in there somewhere; I just can't find it...

Wayne C likes this.
  20. Has there been any news on the last attempt at using hood struts?

21. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

Hi, Andre; thanks for asking. It's a mixed bag, I'm afraid. None of the kits out there are designed for the EV, and they just don't fit properly. I have been waiting for warmer weather to try one last idea I have for making them work. In the meantime, I was able to get one strut installed on the left side only, which is strong enough to support the hood when open. That is the kit mentioned most recently above. Unless you have a pressing need, I would advise you hold off until I can test my current hypothesis. BTW, I installed the frunk.at, and it works great; there's a separate thread on that topic...