Heat pump or PTC

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Dan Pasch, Sep 28, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

Question for those running the Canadian version of the kona electric, does it not have a heat pump in it? website says it does 2019 model but just was on facebook an a hyundai tech commented on someones post saying the 2019 has a PTC.this tech is in canada but on hyundai canada it says it has a heat pump and seems to heat up like a heat pump

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The heat pump is included in both the Preferred and Ultimate 2019 trim in Canada
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/showroom/2019/kona-electric/trims

4. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

i knew it was showing on the website but this hyundai tech was certain it was a PTC...i just wanted to make sure, im guessing they just havent seen many, but figured he should be trained on it to know

5. If that's the case and you buy one (assuming you talked with a service tech - not a sales critter) than I would be taking my Kona someplace else for service. BTW good indicator if they really know what they are doing:confused:

6. I am thinking it might have both a PTC and heat pump. Even exceptionally good heat pumps max out at -20C, usually the energy to pull heat out of air colder than this is higher than any potential gain vs a purely resistive heater. Typically heat pumps are most efficient around +7 to -4 degrees.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's not clear whether the 2kW PTC intended for battery warming will also assist the reversible HP in warming mode in those conditions.