An after-market frunk for the Kona? You read that right!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by robxb, Sep 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

agreed, This is precisely what I'm attempting to do.
    I was hoping SOMEONE here would own, or have access to a 3D scanner for work or something.
    I'd be happy to run with it and find a vacuum molding company and figure out costs etc. I'd just first need that CAD drawing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

You'd need a pretty big ball of plasticine to make a physical 3d model. Not sure what else would be usable for modeling.

I wonder why this isn't offered as an accessory by Hyundai.

Kirk likes this.
  4. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

The temperature of the motor never exceeds 94 F. I checked it with a remote temp probe. I built a self mounting container in a few minutes (see photos, I hope).
    I used a stiff sponge plastic and glued a container on it. 20190928_120445.jpg 20190926_124914_HDR.jpg 20190926_123121_HDR.jpg 20190926_123121_HDR.jpg 20190926_123121_HDR.jpg 20190926_123348_HDR.jpg 20190926_124914_HDR.jpg 20190928_120445.jpg

Kirk and TheLight75 like this.
  5. I've been looking for a reasonably priced, waterproofed frunk to fit our 2021 Kona ev
    instead of that stupidly designed oem electronics cover to make it look as if we really had a gas engine under the hood.

The local rats/mice have discovered they can nest between that useless cover and the electronics.

I've cleaned the seeds and grass out from underneath twice. My additions of mothballs doesn't seem to deter them.

What bright soul in Hyundai's design dept thought that cover was a good idea? Shame on him/her.

6. I've found leaving the hood/bonnet open deters rats. Of course you have to have a secure space for this. Can flatten the 12v battery though. I now put a maintenance charger on too.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Decided to upload my solution. Traveled 20,000kms with this most rural and gravel roads. Froot1.JPG Froot2.JPG Froot3.JPG Froot4.JPG Froot5.JPG Froot6.JPG Froot7.JPG

Kirk, electriceddy and insightman like this.
  9. Toby Whitehead

Toby Whitehead New Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Kirk likes this.
  10. MY struts arrived from China so I got busy and installed them.

They were a perfect fit except for the hood bolts. They were not a flat bottomed bolt, but rather had a slight taper under the bolt head.
    I counter sunk the new attachment bracket so that the attachment bolts would draw down fully into the new brackets.

Btw, in "the Electric Viking's review, I notice that the next generation Kona ev has a factory frunk...

11. I just installed my Frunk using the instructions from . This used some 3d printed parts that are available at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4065215. My local public library has a 3d printer and charged my $.06/gram. The set of four printed parts cost $6.75. This is wonderful, and now I can carry emergency gear up front, including jumper cables (which you can't get to in the back if the 12v battery is dead!). (2019 Kona e). The 3d print site has slight adjustments for the later year products.

Genevamech and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I'm re posting this. It's worked for me for 40,000kms, including off roading in our local National Park.
    My dealer has seen it and made no comment. I store all my spare cables and equipment to clean the windscreen + a bottle of water.

Attached Files:

14. For the record, I also used a similar DIY Frunk (posted under "DIY Frunk for $40) a couple of years ago). I used to remove it whenever taking the Kona to the dealership for service, as in the earlier thread, I had been warned about it becoming a warranty issue. Then the last time, I forgot to do so. Sure enough, the Service Manager, with whom I was on good terms, explained to me that Hyundai might try to use this modification as a reason to deny warranty, should something come up. I decided to follow his advice. Some months later, the traction motor started to make knocking noises and was replaced under warranty. I do not believe the Frunk had anything to do with it but am glad that Hyundai did not have an excuse to deny warranty. Anyway, I decided to forgo using the Frunk while the Kona was under warranty coverage. Just wanted to share my experience.
    It is ironic that the new 2024 Kona comes with a Frunk, albeit a pretty small one. .....Rick