Should have bought the other bra

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by TomL, Sep 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TomL

TomL Active Member

My wife and I have a difference of opinion over who should have ordered an expensive bra. I opted for the LeBra Car Bra for our Clarity, but now regret that decision. Due to my physical disability, I have found it difficult to install by myself. I don't dare ask my wife to help because her glare is withering. I tried to mollify her with the most recent BP gas bill that is down $150 from our past average, but that got me no redemption.

So, I am stuck with a new Clarity LeBra that cost me $100 with shipping. I listed it on EBay for $59 with free shipping, but no takers. Craigslist doesn't seem a likely option for our rural location. Does anyone have any ideas how I can sell this item and save some face with she-who-must-be-obeyed (an apt reference to Rumpole of the Bailey)? I am hopeful that a $59 recovery will be sufficient recompense for a more personal bra of the conventional type, but what do I know of anything bra-wise?

craze1cars likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Where are you located? Do you have any good friend or relative that could help in its installation?

Seems a shame to discard a good product...

4. eneka

eneka Member

maybe call up a tint shop and see if they're willing to install it it for labor.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

For me a car bra is something I put on for long trips, and remove for around town. So it's not a one time install.

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I bought it on eBay. When we bought the car I tried to find a bra but they were not yet available. I forgot all about it until this post reminded me and informed me that it existed. Sorry for your loss. I will use it. I did use a bra on our previous cars. Some trips between Redding CA and Sacramento can be thick with bugs on certain dates and certain times of the day. I found it easier to clean the bugs off the Le Bra than off the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TomL

TomL Active Member

UPDATE: I got a reply that asked if I was a "big baby" and other jabs about my plaint above, but it seems to have disappeared. Apparently the Sysop removed it. I was initially jarred by this and waited 24 hours to formulate a response, which I submit below:

"Well, this is awkward. I’ve never been trolled before and the "Big baby" allegation seems a bit harsh. I didn’t expect such a response on this website, especially the Clarity forum. I thought it was widely understood that car bras should not be left on long term and, for me, taking it on and off proved too much of a chore. I have motor ataxia, which means I can’t stand upright for more than few seconds without stabilization, so pinning the numerous clips to fender edges proved too daunting. I offered tongue-in-cheek humor to explain my dilemma, but apparently missed the mark. My wife thought it was pretty funny.

"I have really enjoyed this website and the Clarity forum, though it is nerdy for sure and possibly a bit sad for an old man to get so much enjoyment here. Yet, I did because the Clarity represents a marvel of automotive engineering and the EV movement overall is a bellwether to less reliance on petroleum and a cleaner environment. That optimism is rife everyday in this forum as contributors report their experiences and sidle into philosophizing about a better future toward which we have all paid dues by owning this vehicle and spreading the word. It is encouraging for a person of my age to witness a stage where speakers respect science and quietly rally against the penchant for anti-intellectualism that pervades large sectors of our society. Sadly, if I do come back to explore this forum it is unlikely that I will post any comments and risk the type of callous response I received this time.

"Perhaps it is ironic, but I did sell my LeBra on Ebay to an appreciative Clarity owner in California."

9. Sorry you had to endure that.

Don't be a stranger.

10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

It's pretty common, although not to the extreme that you endured, that some people post "what's so hard about that?" type of replies when someone brings up something they wished worked differently. For example someone may say they wished it would remain in Sport Mode and not have to push the button each time you start the car. Invariable someone will reply "How hard is it to push a button?". In those cases I sometimes reply that I didn't say it was hard I just wished it worked differently. Other times I just ignore it. But your post was quite clear what your situation was. The best you can say about that person is they didn't read it all the way through and missed that part of your message. Which is not good either replying without reading the whole message, but like css28 says I'm sorry you had to endure that.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

We are all very sorry you had to see that and very glad that @Domenick got rid of it so quickly that most of us didn’t even have the chance to read and respond against it. Fortunately he doesn’t have to weed the garden very often. I’ve been on the forum since early 2018 and it’s a group of the nicest people I have ever been on line with. Please don’t give up on the forum because of one bad apple. We need all the help we can get figuring out the Clarity since Honda is not helping us at all. I look forward to your future posts.
    PS:
    I’m living with a bad back from an motorcycle injury, so I know what it’s like not easily being able to bend over. Grandma’s old grabber arm and magnet on an extension thing-a-ma-bob comes in handy a lot. Hang in here.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

@TomL, FWIW, I genuinely thought your initial post was hilarious, and I said nothing as I had nothing to contribute but a simple “like”, cuz I totally loved your wording choices and tongue in cheek humor, with what I knew darn well was also a genuine and legitimate question. Well written.

Then I saw the response from one jagwad who called you a big baby and pretty much wanted to light into him. But waited. It was a “new member” who clearly didn’t belong here and I knew it would correct itself, with or without admin intervention. And hours later was pleased to see that the post from that insecure urchin was fully removed.

Don’t let one moron spoil the whole bunch of us. Generally I find it’s very polite here for an Internet forum. I hope you stay here, enjoy it, and contribute more. What you experienced is VERY rare here.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    MPower, Dan Albrich and jdonalds like this.
  14. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

@TomL, I please don't get discouraged. I saw that response and was shocked. What kind of person mocks a person with a disability? (Sorry I asked. It seems to be a thing these days even amongst the highest in the land.)

If I had not just finished posting a not quite sharp enough reply to another post (which was not nearly as bad as the one you received by a long way https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/brake-hold-uses-brake-lights.5817/page-2#post-77796), I would have responded immediately. By the time I cooled down and returned to the thread, the post was gone. I wondered if @fargledaer had thought better of it and taken it down, or whether moderator @Domenick had tried to maintain the standards of civility that have characterized this forum.

You are clearly not alone in the enjoyment of reading the postings of the variety pack that are Clarity owners. This little old lady certainly enjoys it and I have learned a lot. I have been on many forums where the threads deteriorate into people just insulting each other. One of the attractions of this forum has been the high level of civility. I have noticed that when people realize that they have gone a little too far, their tone has deteriorated, and they may have offended another member, they are quick to apologize.

Although the threads often wander OT, the digressions are enjoyable, sort of like an automotive Tristram Shandy. Please take @craze1cars comments to heart and don't leave and do keep posting. Your post was funny.

15. If you see something, report it. There's a button for that, at the bottom left corner of each posting.

MPower likes this.
  16. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

You have to understand, you're on a public forum and asking for an advice or opinions. You'll always get jabs, insults, etc every once in a while. It's not a big deal try to ignore it and focus on those that offer sincere suggestions and/or opinions. This is coming from someone going back to the old BBS days.

Frankly, for car bras, I rarely see them used anymore. I use to put them on my cars over twenty years ago, but I just accept that cars will become dinged up and used over time.

17. S L .

S L . Active Member

I thought that this forum was mostly mature educated people, didn’t expect trolls here.
    Had a lot of trolls in other car forums, but haven’t encountered one here yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

MPower likes this.
  18. Lurker2019

Lurker2019 New Member

With the advent of high quality paint protection films, car bra is becoming more of a thing of the past (except for those who still think a car bra looks cool). That's probably why we don't see it as often as we used to.