iOS 13 anyone?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Sep 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Folks, my iPhone just gave me notice iOS 13 is ready for download. Has anyone already installed it and tried CarPlay?
    It is supposed to come with highly improved functionality for CarPlay but having been a serial victim of software upgrades in many different fronts I am wary it would work at all in our Clarities.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Installed ios13 the other day. CarPlay enhancements are great and work just fine on the Clarity.

4sallypat, MichiganClarity and Olive like this.
  4. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thank You!!! :)

5. Jason P

Jason P New Member

Keep an eye out on Tuesday, iOS 13.1 should release. Rare opportunity to quickly fix some early stability issues in the base iOS 13 release.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  6. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

So far here is what I really line about CarPlay (yes, all working on the Clarity):

can switch an app on the phone while using waze and waze stays on the screen instead of disappearing. By itself this feature is worth the upgrade to me.

New split screen view that shows navigation and music. It also shows a couple of other widgets that aren’t terribly useful. Need to find out if they can be changed.

new day and night mode. Needed to go into settings on CarPlay to set it to change automatically as it defaulted to dark view. Kids didn’t like the light view but it was fine for me

Siri can now find directions using waze or google maps on CarPlay.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

I’ve been on the public beta for months, it’s much much better and well worth the upgrade. Best parts are the new home screen and the fact that you can use whatever app you want on the phone and the car play app will not change.

9. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I like split screen but would love it if I could use Waze there instead of Apple Maps...

10. Waze won’t work in split screen?

11. 228ra

228ra Member

No it won’t, nor will Google Maps unfortunately.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Not at this time.. Hopefully in the future..

14. Is the problem iOS 13, or just the apps? If the latter, can we hope for updates to make them compatible with split screen?

15. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Love the split screen. Only hoping to see Waze or Google Maps working on it. The improvement on the Music screen is also remarkable.

16. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

4sallypat likes this.
  17. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

IMHO, the odds of Honda giving us any software updates just for extra features are right up here with the odds that Honda will full out mass market and advertise the Clarity in all 50 states. (Don’t hold your breathe; it just ain’t gonna happen.)

insightman likes this.
  18. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

CarPlay and Android Auto updates are not dependent on Honda. In fact a few weeks ago there was a nice update to the Android Auto interface. That's the beauty of it, although limited somewhat by the car's built in hardware and some of the communications protocols with the car, they can otherwise do pretty much anything they want to with the GUI because that is coming from the phone not from the Honda infotainment system. It's not screen mirroring of your phone but the CarPlay and Android Auto apps in the phone are driving what is on the screen when those programs are running on the infotainment screen.

4sallypat likes this.
  19. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I wasn’t referring to new IOS updates which is a separate issue, but to the posts wishing for Honda to give us more menu choices and battery data thru an SB like update that requires a dealer visit. Fat chance of that even being on Honda’s radar and even less chance that they would spend R&D $ on it and then spend $ for the install. It ain’t gonna happen, IMHO.

20. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Oh for that I give zero chance. Traditional automakers don't work that way. On the one hand I somewhat understand that as I spent many years managing a computer software that was used by painters in bodyshops. One thing you realize is how hard it is to change how software works once it has been released, especially if the users are for the most part non-technical. Besides having to change all of the manuals and training materials, a high percentage of users scream at the top of their lungs when anything changes, even if for the good. Most people hate learning how to use technology, but once they get used to something they are comfortable. Then it changes and they are angry. Yes many people are very happy with the new improvement, but that's maybe one third, the other two-thirds were fine with how it was and are mad that it was changed. I'm not talking logic here I am talking about how people react to changes especially when they weren't expecting it.

Of course Tesla is changing that way of thinking, no surprise as their audience are people who expect innovation, change and improvement, and who think it's a positive that their car just got updated with new features and improvements. This will eventually influence the other car makers to do the same. But for the moment, they will continue to be a stick in the mud and do things the old way.

MPower and Raymondca like this.
  21. Lucien Mcleod

Lucien Mcleod Member

CarPlay is frozen o. Screen a week after update on Waze. Audio power off is stuck as well so no music. I’ve obviously turn the car off and on are there any buttons to reset this head unit WTF
    IMG_6274.JPG IMG_6274.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

22. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Have you tried rebooting it by pressing and holding the audio power button for ten seconds until you get the reboot message. This should work even if the audio power button itself seems unresponsive. This seems to do more than just powering off the car and hopefully will clear the problem.

23. We had a similar freeze where nothing worked, even pushing and holding the AUDIO button. Not sure what resolved it, but it eventually did so.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.