Stopping charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Robbert, Sep 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Maybe a really dumb question -- I just got my Kona today and after I plugged in the 120V charger for a while, I couldn't figure out how to disconnect it, since the car locks the plug in. Now, I figured out that with all 4 doors unlocked, it pops out no problem.

But is that the proper way to do that? Since BlueLink sends me a message when I unplug that sounds like I shouldn't do it like that.

I read in several places that the DC chargers have a stop button, but the 120/240V chargers don't.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes, that's correct. Unlocking the doors by any means drops the charge rate to a low level (0.5 kW) and unlocks the port, both for a short time giving you the opportunity to unplug safely even though it's still 'hot'. The EVSE doesn't normally know or care about the low rate, nor does it have a way to unlock the plug itself. But when it senses the broken connection it disconnects power. For portable EVSEs you can stop the charge at that end by unplugging it, but the car connector remains locked if Auto Unplug is 'off'.

DC charging is normally stopped at the charger, although the car can do this as well. Unplugging after that is the same, unlock the doors.

If you have the Auto Unplug button 'on' the connector is free once the charge has fully stopped, both AC and DC, noting that means zero kW.

There may be other details if you have a Type 1 plug, I have a Type 2.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Robbert likes this.
  4. That is actually the proper way to unplug on 220V.
    Just unlock your car with the fob and unplug.
    Done.

Dang, kiwi beat me by a second

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

KiwiME and Robbert like this.
  5. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Thanks guys! Makes sense, but the manual or instruction videos I watched weren't totally clear on that.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. No worries, I was running around my car looking stupid as well when I first charged it

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

TheLight75 and Robbert like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I think most first-time owners are a bit puzzled at first. And much of this stuff is not even in the owner's manual.

Robbert likes this.
  9. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The setting on my car is to unlock the J1772 plug when finished charging. I end the charging via the Hyundai app. Once the stop charge request is completed, the J1772 lock is released and you can release the J1772 plug

10. You can also use the emergency disconnect in the motor compartment (pull the cord with the orange button) if the car or DCFC freaks out... of course this never happens:confused::eek:

11. Just noting that the Type 2 (and probably Type 1) connectors are only lifetime rated for (50) 'hot' disconnects, and that's on AC. If charging won't stop, best hit the E-stop button on the charger before using the cable release cord. The (AC) contactor is only required to break within 100ms of losing the CP signal and clearly that's not fast enough to prevent an arc if you just yank the plug out. Sorry to be pedantic ...!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. If the charger is working I agree, but I have been in situations where the unlock function won't work because of error code created by the charger. The car thinks it is waiting for a confirm signal.

14. So, it's not actually charging ...

15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I think there's a mandated time, mere milliseconds, in which if the proximity
    line breaks the OBC must immediately reduce its draw to zero or something
    very low. The assumption is that the J-plug is about to be pulled. So
    as soon as you push the release button, that should happen unless
    something's really wrong. That can be enabled either via door/fob
    unlock or the "magic mushroom".

Because high current arc flash is a thing, etc. It would be interesting
    to closely examine a bunch of public charger handles to get an
    idea of how often that might happen... I suspect it's quite rare.

_H*

16. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

The CP pin is recessed, so disconnects first, so unless yanked really quickly, a "hot" unplug will be prevented by the EVSE opening its contactor

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Surprised to see just a guess. 14mm contact inset over the specified 100ms is merely 14 cm/sec, a very slow withdrawl. The contactor is well-audible on the public AC EVSE that I use and any normal plug withdrawl is way faster than it can drop power. Cleary avoiding a hot-disconnect is not the goal, exposed contact safety is.

Esprit1st likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

Yesterday, I was charging on the local Free DC Fast charger (24kw only). When I was ready to leave, I used the myHyundai app to stop charging (as I usually do). I got an error message that my request could not be completed and the car kept charging. I ended up using the Chargepoint App to stop the charging. Not sure why it didn't work via the myHyundai app..

19. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

I seem to have frequent timeouts and other issues with Blue Link as well. No matter what it is (a refresh or remote lock/unlock etc). I hope that they're going to work on making this better....

20. FloridaSun

Would be great if they solve those issues.. Bluelink is awefully slow and unreliable..

21. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I had that this morning on a free non networked L2 charger. Bluelink was down, no button on the charger to tell it to stop, and the plug was locked in the car. Eventually I got BlueLink to work, and I heard a clunk in the charger as it switched off. But I was wondering what other options exist to tell it to stop. Is there something in the car on the touchscreen to do this?

Does the app on the phone communicate directly with the car if in range (via BT)?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

22. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Do an unlock with the door switch or fob, and then press the J-plug latch and
    listen. Charging should cease immediately, and it's then safe to pull the plug.

_H*

23. Max charge limit can be adjusted in settings in 10% increments, just lower it to below SOC and the charge will stop (A/C and DC have separate scales)

Francois likes this.