New information on Kona EV rear brake clunking and creaking

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CJC, Jun 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Thanks CJC! I shall be persistent with them.
    I wasn’t able to book an appointment on Friday but I’ll give them a call Monday and let them know what’s going on in the forum and what others have had done.

I feel like they rushed the vehicle out too quickly so as not to delay it any further in North America. Looks like they’ve overlooked a few key engineering details.

Hopefully these all get taken care of soon!

CJC and Wayne Warde like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just to note that NZ had its first round of Konas delivered about August 2018 (Irish spec) and I have not heard of this issue occurring here. I don't think we've had any charge port, release actuator or speedo LCD replacements either but one car did have a faulty light around the charge port. My own car has been flawless despite somehow accumulating 400 kms before I could take delivery.

Brennan Raposo and Wayne Warde like this.
  4. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Great to know!
    I’ve seen countless videos of UK Kona’s being out for a while and never any issue. I think with the minor cold weather modifications for Canada, there may have been some other tweaks to cut costs in order to include the battery heating/cooling at no charge. To be honest, I kind of which we got everything that the UK got and had the battery heating/cooling at a cost. I’d have been quite happy to pay another $1500 for battery management if memory seats, power folding mirrors, power passenger seats were included.

I think there were some other cost-cutting initiatives where the brakes and tires are concerned. Completely hearsay obviously, but just my thought :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiwiME, Vanryan and CJC like this.
  5. Anyone know if there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this yet? I'd like to be armed with as much information as possible before taking it in.

6. It is not a safety problem as you can drive it while the parts are ordered so I doubt there will ever be a service bulletin.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It’s my understanding that Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) aren’t restricted to just safety issues.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. They are a form of diagnosis. Not to be confused with recalls, a TSB is issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem.

Bugblndr likes this.
  9. Deebs

Deebs New Member

Dealing with the same issue and seems like similar experience from prior posts in regards to the dealership’s response to wait for a recall at this time. Definitely rubbed me the wrong way and want to be more informed come next scheduled appointment

10. Flipster

Flipster New Member

I got my 2019 Kona EV this August and just started hearing this same clunking sound as you've described it. Do you know when they started the recall?

electriceddy likes this.
  11. As far as I am aware there is no "recall", I would just take it in and have it repaired
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/clunking-sound-when-reversing-and-clunking-sound-at-the-rear-at-low-speed.4983/#post-62567
    and
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/repair-issues-and-fixes.7097/#post-79764

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Did you clunk happen when you had the Ebrake on?I have it very pronounced when the ebrake's applied.Pretty shocking first thing in the a.m.,wakes you up

14. That sounds like surface rust which tends to hold the pads, happens all the time. Actual repair involves new thicker pads and stronger clips to solve the mechanical sound you here when the pads move within the calipers. Apparently the most recent the fix is to just replace the clips to avoid movement and the inevitable clunking sound when that happens.

15. We have a 2019, I called the Victoria dealership about this issue and was told that HMC has no fix and they couldn't do anything under warranty ,,,really!
    I told the service person about the fix and to contact the Nanaimo dealership as they had the fix, he wouldn't do it so I phoned and got the info. Then the local guy phoned Nanaimo and was waiting for the TSB info to try and see what he could do. After a week I called the local service dept again for an update, he said that the TSB hadn't shown up and with out it he couldn't do anything. I was then told that maybe "I" should call HMC direct for help because "he" was to busy to do it, I love it when people won't do their jobs.
    Again I called Nanaimo and the service person there was great, he forwarded me the TSB info and now I have an appointment to have the brakes done,,,,,but NOT in Victoria. I phoned the next closest dealer and they new all about fix, said they need to do this, this and that and will get it done. Hallelujah,, someone who seems to know what they're doing. If we were closer to Nanaimo we'd be going there.
    The TSB number is 20-41-003 November 20,2020. If any Victorians want to pursue this with the Victoria dealer be my guest but I'm done with them. I didn't give them the TSB info because I'm still pi--ed off with their attitude.
    Big shout out to Wheaton Hyundai in Nanaimo, the people I talked to were willing to help and were very good to talk with. Apparently the brake pads have been redesigned to fit properly in the caliper.

ehatch, DaveO and electriceddy like this.
  16. Be sure to give them a good write up on their website, even if you go elsewhere to have the job done. I have found Scott Daniher (Service Advisor) and Brodie Macpherson (Service Manager) always go a step beyond.;)

17. Wait, there was a TSB about the "clunking brakes" issue? That's new to me.

18. Any chance you can post a link or a PDF? I wasn't able to find it online. Thanks

19. I only have the first page and it doesn't give much info but should be enough to get you started.
    I couldn't find it on line anywhere either, a willing dealer needs to verify and apply to Hyundai for a "good will" fix.

Attached Files:

DaveO likes this.
  20. Was at the dealer this morning to have the brakes looked at, there was was no looking, they just changed the pads and sent us on our way. And yes, all under warranty.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. EMark

EMark New Member

I took my 2021 Kona in December first and they told me that there was nothing to be done about the break noise at this time. They said they had been changing the pads before but are not doing that any longer.

22. I was one of those that had the pads and clips changed on my 2019 model. It worked like a charm. The same issue is occurring with my 21 model , and I got the identical response from my dealer as well. Oh well, it is not a safety issue, it is just the pads moving within the calipers, not to be worried.
    I guess if the clicking stops, I might get concerned :rolleyes:

23. EMark

EMark New Member

I think i will try making some noise in the new year and see if I can get something done. Hyundai Canada website doesn't really have much for the owners trying to contact them does it.