EVGo 50kw chargers

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Sep 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Sometimes while on a road trip , you need 90% SOC to make it to a destination ,or another DCFC. Idling fee should be applied when an EV as finished charging.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Charging speed should be regulated so drivers know what to expect. Can't get near 350KW, don't use the DCFC. I think most EVs can auto detect between it's charge port ,and the charger to set KW. Chargepoint for example knows the size of my battery whenever I connect,and gives me a time to a full charge. ABB units can tell me when I will reach 80%.

I am with the camp where the public chargers should be billed at kWh. With an idle fee,plus tag,and towing enforcement because there are EVholes and ICEholes. Rational for kWh billing,different EV brands throttle at different SOC,so the hourly rate can really gouge some drivers like the Leaf [rapidgate,not liquid cooled],and Bolt that throttles at about 50% .Fees,the kWh shouldn't be any more than the local hydro rate given EVs are actually contributing back by reducing transport emissions. There's the North American billions , USD trillions globally in subsidies oil gets,benefiting ICE after all.

4. I think we all have good points.
    As for charging, getting to 80% on a fast charger is reasonable, after that I personally would just move to an AC charger to get to 90% if needed. At least if there is somebody in line. If not, I'd be at my car and move if somebody shows up.
    I hope that over the next months and years we and (mostly) charging companies get more accustomed to it and figure out the best way for everybody.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

That's what I do.. I usually charge to 80% and then get the rest of the charging at Level 2 stations. When I went to South Florida a couple weeks ago, I used a DC Fast to get to 80% and then I used free Level 2 chargers at the mall to get to 100% to make the trip back.. Couldn't have made it home on 80%.. 210 miles without any public chargers... Of course, I could have driven 50 mph to make it on 80% but that was not an option.. I did charge to 90% at free DC fast chargers but only when nobody was waiting..

6. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Grand Island DCFC082319.jpg
    Agree with the 80%.Vacated a DCFC the other day for a Bolt driver who showed up. Also will wait at the DCFC if I plan on going over 80% SOC.Especially if on a road trip where I can explain to another driver what I am doing. Our Kona EV don't get throttled close to 7kw AC until it's past 90%. We can see ~ 25kw at 90% SOC.

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Teslabjorn just made a great video about fair pricing for charging: How to set a fair fast charging price

I totally subscribe to his suggestions.

9. Excellent approach but will probably be some time before any of this is legislated. In the meantime $$$ for corporations .
    https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/personal/fuel/ev-fast-charge-network
    New network in Canada with a machine opening shortly 1 km from my Nanaimo location. Free for now but strictly time based in the fall. But then again what else would you expect from an oil company.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/198486
    Wouldn't you know it, of course I destroyed my Petro Canada points card 7 years ago:oops:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. Actually saw an "electric highway coast to coast" commercial on TV today featuring Petro Canada charging facilities - the first advertising I have seen to date. Wish I had a copy to share but I am sure more will come:)
    https://bc.ctvnews.ca/electric-vehicles-can-soon-power-up-at-some-b-c-gas-stations-1.4596270?cache=%3Fot%3DAjaxLayout
    Not the commercial but more details

11. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

@electriceddy Most Petri Canada charging stations in BC seem to be “coming soon”, not actually built yet (I was looking at coverage between the Okanagan and the Lower Mainland tonight). With the elevation gain over the Coquihalla, it looks like more fast charging needs to be added in this area (eg, Coqu Summit).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lots of fast charging up that way..., Coq summit, Merrit, Kamloops. Even Leafs should have no trouble going that way. Same with the south #3 route, Hope, Hope Slide, Manning Park, Princeton... It's just up north where we need more fast chargers.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

Electrify America stations are terrible. The fee is for the highest rate your car can accept, not what it charges at. Kona's, being able to accept 77, put you into the middle tier, even though you never hit the middle tier rate. This tier is about 4x as much as the low tier.

Also, its such a PITA to actually get it to accept the car, and start charging. I have not had any luck getting it to start a session in less than 15 minutes.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Something to note if the company goes through with expansion plans into Canada
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/02/14/volkswagen-electrify-canada-project-progressing/
    So far so good ...

16. You're right, their pricing structure is IMHO the worst in the industry. I didn't have problems charging the one time I used their chargers. Despite the over priced fees.

17. FloridaSun

EA has a charger 15 mins from my office. They reduced the speed to 50kw and only charge 15 cents per minute at 49kw speed with no session fee.
    If I use EA, I exclusively use their 50kw chargers as they only charge .21 per minute and $1 session fee.. That's cheaper than the 35 cents per minute at EVGo.
    They also have a few discount locations at 15 cents per minute.

Screenshot_20190918-232433_Electrify America.jpg

18. Wow, I've never seen those in my area.

19. FloridaSun

Here in my area, we only have one single free 50kw charger and a couple free 24kw chargers at Harley Dealerships. I actually used the free 50kw charger today when I took the wife to the beach. On the way back, I charged up from 60 to 90%. Took the day off. The city of Largo/FL may be the most EV friendly town in Florida.. FREE DC Fast charger and MANY free Level 2 chargers.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/florida/largo/amp/28057483/city-largo-installs-7-free-electric-charging-stations
    . 20191004_121612.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Joev and Esprit1st like this.